Top Colombian rebel killed in clash with policeMarch 21st, 2009 - 7:49 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, March 21 (EFE) A senior member of Colombia’s second largest rebels group has been killed in a gun battle with police in western province of Tolima, Colombian Defence Minister Juan Manuel has said.
Javier Galvis Florez, identified as the chief of the Bolsheviks Bloc of the National Liberation Army (ELN), died in the gun battle occurred Thursday night in the mountains near Libano, about 120 km west of Bogota, the minister said Friday.
Galvis was a member of the rebel group’s high command.
Galvis was killed by the same police unit that eliminated his second-in-command a month ago, the National Police said in a statement.
Authorities said the US government had sought Galvis’ extradition in connection with the abduction of an American citizen in Colombia. The guerrilla was also wanted by Colombian courts on charges including murder and rebellion.
Thought to have fewer than 5,000 fighters, the ELN is around half the estimated size of the Andean nation’s biggest insurgency group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
For nearly two years, ELN representatives and government officials met sporadically in Havana to explore the possibility of a peace process, but those talks broke down in mid-2007.
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Colombian rebels recruited teenagers, says activist - May 19, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- 17 wounded in Colombia car bomb blast - Jun 20, 2011
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Car bomb injures former Colombian Interior Minister Londoño, kills 2 - May 16, 2012
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Colombia's FARC number 2 rebel commander "Mono Jojoy" killed - Sep 24, 2010
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: abduction, american citizen, andean nation, bolsheviks, defence minister, eln, extradition, farc, government officials, guerrilla, gun battle, libano, national liberation army, national police, peace process, police unit, rebel group, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, western province