Tom Cruise credits Scientology for fixing his dyslexiaJanuary 5th, 2009 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 5 (IANS) Hollywood star Tom Cruise has credited his Scientology faith with helping him overcome dyslexia insisting he was illiterate until he followed the teachings of the controversial religion’s founder L. Ron Hubbard.The actor struggled with literacy at school and resigned to the fact that he would struggle with reading and writing after he was diagnosed with the language-based disability aged seven.
Cruise admits he walked away from school as an illiterate and blames the school system for the same.
However, he states it was science-fiction writer Hubbard’s methods of learning and the ideas behind Scientology that finally enabled him to get over his learning difficulties, reports contactmusic.com.
“I asked myself if I was normal or an idiot. I would try to concentrate but I felt anxiety, frustration (and) boredom. When I graduated from high school in 1980, I was functionally illiterate,” he said.
“Nobody gave me a solution and I wanted to know why the system had failed. Finally, as an adult, I learned to read perfectly through the method of L. Ron Hubbard.”
- Tom Cruise credits Scientology for beating his dyslexia problem - Jan 05, 2009
- Sir Jackie Stewart: I was millimetres away from a life of violence - Nov 02, 2010
- Russia Bans Scientology Texts - Apr 23, 2010
- Every fifth British adult is illiterate: Report - Mar 29, 2012
- Scientology leader was a 'fraud', say British diplomats - Aug 06, 2009
- Scientologist Kelly Preston had a 'silent birth' when she welcomed son - Jan 21, 2011
- Katie Holmes' 'film crew inks contract not to quiz her on Scientology' - Jul 05, 2009
- This British mogul cannot read! - Jun 04, 2011
- Lost L. Ron Hubbard Materials Restored By Scientologists - Jan 11, 2010
- Kirstie Alley goes on a new diet - Mar 20, 2010
- 'Indian teachers still not trained to tackle dyslexia' (With Image, Sep 5 is Teacher's Day) - Sep 05, 2009
- In South Africa, it's never too old to learn - Oct 11, 2010
- Blunt to star opposite Cruise? - Apr 17, 2012
- Dyslexia defined: 'Uncoupling' between IQ and reading - Dec 18, 2009
- No link between dyslexia and lack of musical ability - Apr 09, 2010