Toll in Philippines tropical storm rises to 1,236December 25th, 2011 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Dec 25 (IANS) The toll in the Philippines tropical storm that hit Mindanao and the central region of Visayas 10 days ago, causing massive rains and flooding, rose to 1,236 Sunday.
Workers continued to retrieve more bodies even 10 days after the tropical storm Washi hit regions in the southern Philippines, as the official toll risen to 1,236 Sunday, Xinhua reported.
The retrieval operations would continue as long as people were being fished out from the water, said an official with National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
“We have expanded the retrieval operations. We will continue the retrieval operations… We will pursue it as long as it takes.. . In the event that we do not recover bodies for three consecutive days, we will call off the search,” he said.
- Philippines typhoon toll rises to 327 - Dec 18, 2011
- Philippine typhoon toll crosses 490 (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- Philippines declares outbreak of deadly rat fever - Jan 03, 2012
- 170 dead in typhoon in Philippines (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- UN chief condoles Philippines typhoon victims - Dec 20, 2011
- UN helps children in storm-hit Philippines - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama condoles loss of lives in the Philippines typhoon - Dec 20, 2011
- Pakistan donates $50,000 to Philippines - Jun 14, 2012
- 50 dead in storm, floods in Philippines - Dec 17, 2011
- Philippine rat fever toll reaches 15 - Jan 05, 2012
- Death toll in Philippine jeepney accident reaches 11 - May 15, 2012
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Philippine toll in floods, landslides rises to 300 - Oct 11, 2009