Toll in Iraq bombing rises to 27January 15th, 2010 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 15 (DPA) At least 27 people were killed and 111 injured in a series of explosions that hit the southern Iraqi city of Najaf, medics said Friday as they updated the death toll.
Three homemade bomb blasts rocked Najaf, home to some of Shiite Islam’s highest educational institutions and shrines, within minutes of each other Thursday.
Two of the blasts targeted a market located in a street leading to Imam Ali shrine, an important Shiite Muslim shrine.
The third was a car bomb nearby that detonated after a while when more people gathered on the scene, sources said.
Thursday, police sources said that at least 14 people were killed and dozens injured in the worst attacks in weeks, which shattered a brief period of relative calm.
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Car bomb kills 10, wounds 38 in Iraqi city of Karbala - Nov 08, 2010
- 20 pilgrims killed in Baghdad bombings - Jun 16, 2012
- Two killed, 11 injured in Iraq blasts - Apr 26, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- At least 14 killed, 22 injured in fresh Iraq violence - Jan 15, 2010
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- 47 killed in Iraq car bombings - Jun 13, 2012
- 10 killed in Baghdad bombings - Jan 05, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Seven killed in Iraq car blast targeting Iranian pilgrims - Mar 06, 2010
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: baghdad, bomb blasts, car bomb, death toll, dozens, dpa, educational institutions, homemade bomb, imam ali shrine, iraq bombing, iraqi city, medics, muslim shrine, police sources, series of explosions, shiite islam, shiite muslim, shrines