Toad survives after becoming dogs dinner for 40 minutes!June 10th, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 10 (ANI): A cane toad had a miraculous escape from death when it survived after spending 40 minutes in a dogs stomach.
The dog, named Bella, was also saved once the toad came out of her mouth.
Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.
“I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,” News.com.au quoted the dogs owner Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews, as saying.
“I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies. She swallowed it whole, he added.
However, after being taken to the Ark Animal Hospital, the super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed.
“She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad,” Crews said.
The 27-year-old said that he couldn’t believe both dog and toad survived the episode.
The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.
According to scientists, hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad’s deadly toxins.
The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.
Crews said it was probably Bella’s greedy nature that had saved her life.
“She swallowed it whole — that’s probably why she survived,” Crews said. (ANI)