Tired Federer taking indefinite rest after pulling from StockholmOctober 2nd, 2008 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Stockholm, Oct 2 (DPA) Roger Federer has pulled the plug on next week’s Stockholm Open and perhaps beyond, saying that a long season has taken a toll on his fitness.The Swiss world number two had been due to headline for the first time at the indoor event won in the past by John McEnroe and Boris Becker.
“2008 has been a tough year for me as I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year,” said Federer Wednesday, who played just under a fortnight ago in the Davis Cup for Switzerland after winning the US Open.
“I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the number one ranking again.
“In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100 per cent fit for the remainder of the year or next year.
“At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year,” said Federer.
Tournament officials absorbed the body blow at the box office well enough, citing an event starting on Monday which is now headed by Argentina’s world number seven David Nalbandian, former world number two Tommy Haas of Germany and Croatia’s Mario Ancic.
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Stockholm Open: Somdev crashes out of first round - Oct 18, 2011
- Boris Becker -- star born at Wimbledon 1985 - Jul 05, 2010
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Rusty Davydenko to open for Russia; Spain without Nadal - Jul 08, 2010
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Djokovic scrapes through to Rogers Cup semis - Aug 11, 2012
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon win voted sporting moment of decade - Dec 31, 2009
- Hewitt gets wildcard for Wimbledon - Jun 13, 2012
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon victory voted sporting moment of the decade - Jan 01, 2010
- McEnroe's 'women weaker than men' claim leaves fairer sex fuming - Aug 28, 2010
- McEnroe backing Murray against Federer to win Wimbledon - Jun 17, 2009
- Soderling marks career top 10 start with Stockholm win - Oct 22, 2009
- Women tennis fans slam McEnroe for 'patronizing' comments about female athletes - Aug 30, 2010