Tiny hot-air balloons spark UFO scare in GermanyJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
Mannheim (Germany), Jan 2 (DPA) Germany’s UFO hotline has been inundated with thousands of calls from people who have mistaken glowing lights in the night sky for alien space objects.The red-gold lights were in fact balloons that have become the latest festive season fad, according to Werner Walter of the Central Research Network for Unusual Sky Phenomena (CENAP).
The sightings were “nothing but hot air”, said the UFO expert, referring to the sky lanterns that were sold for the first time at Christmas markets and garden centres across the country.
The miniature hot-air balloons, nothing more than a paper lantern suspended over a naked flame, provided “a silent alternative” to the traditional fireworks let off to mark the start of the New Year, Walter said.
- UFO seen at China airport - Aug 18, 2011
- Mexico hosts Latin America's largest balloon festival - Nov 21, 2011
- Winston Churchill's UFO investigation revealed - Feb 18, 2010
- Russian flight controllers claim aliens spoke to them in 'cat-like language' - Mar 02, 2011
- World's tallest building opens in Dubai (Lead) - Jan 05, 2010
- Shiny objects hovering over Chelsea spark UFO speculation - Oct 14, 2010
- UFO encounters exposed as UK's Public Record Office releases 'X-Files' - Feb 18, 2010
- Midlands UFO invasion was actually fleet of cheap flying lanterns! - Dec 21, 2008
- UFO sighting reported in El Paso - Oct 20, 2010
- UFO In China Baffles All, Government Stands Clueless - Jul 16, 2010
- It's raining UFOs Down Under - Apr 29, 2010
- Lights spotted over East Anglia spark new UFO mystery - Aug 13, 2009
- Brangelina visit Big Apple art supply store with twins - Dec 06, 2010
- World's tallest building opens in Dubai (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2010
- 5 ways to spot an alien - Sep 28, 2010