Time needed to restore ties with Colombia: EcuadorMarch 9th, 2008 - 9:23 am ICT by admin
Quito, March 9 (Xinhua) Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa said it would take time to restore diplomatic ties with Colombia even though the two countries have resolved a week-long crisis over a Colombian military raid against guerrillas hiding in Ecuador. “We’ll make a timetable. It’s going to take some time,” Correa said in his weekly radio address late Saturday.
Nicaragua and Venezuela announced Friday they would re-establish ties with Colombia during a Latin American summit that ended in handshakes between leaders.
However, Correa said that it would be “difficult to recover trust” in Colombian President Alvaro Uribe’s government, but stressed that “we will converse and move forward”.
The Ecuadorian president also said that he would coordinate with his Venezuelan counterpart Hugo Chavez, who backed him during the crisis, before sending ambassador back to Bogota.
In the Rio Group summit, Uribe apologized to Correa and promised not to conduct such cross-border operation in future, but asked for more cooperation from his neighbours in fighting the outlawed guerrillas.
Colombian forces raided on a camp of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebels March 1 inside Ecuador, killing at least 23 rebels, including the group’s second-in-command Raul Reyes. The attack provoked great tension between Colombia and its neighbours, Ecuador and Venezuela.
The two neighbours along with Nicaragua severed diplomatic ties with Colombia in protest to the attack.
The diplomatic crisis was Latin America’s worst in years.
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- Ecuador may export electricity to Colombia, Venezuela - Feb 19, 2010
- South American nations upset over US plans for Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
- Nicaragua breaks diplomatic relations with Colombia - Mar 07, 2008
- Venezuela freezes relations with Colombia - Jul 30, 2009
- Ahmadinejad visits Cuba - Jan 12, 2012
- Ecuador takes over UNASUR presidency - Aug 11, 2009
- Venezuela, Colombia agree to resume relations - Aug 11, 2010
- Ecuador, Colombia to restore ties - Nov 14, 2009
- Nicaragua breaks diplomatic ties with Colombia - Mar 07, 2008
- Betancourt urges Lula to help Colombia mend diputes with neighbours - Jul 10, 2008
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Colombia, Ecuador in bitter clash at Latin American summit - Mar 08, 2008
Tags: american summit, colombian forces, colombian president, diplomatic ties, ecuadorian president, farc, farc rebels, guerrillas, handshakes, hugo chavez, latin america, latin american, president rafael correa, radio address, rafael correa, raul reyes, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, rio group, xinhua