Tibetans grieve over Polish president’s deathApril 10th, 2010 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, April 10 (IANS) The Tibetan government-in-exile based here Saturday expressed deep sorrow and grief over the death of Polish President Lech Kaczynski in an air crash in Russia.
“We deeply express sorrow and grief over the demise of Lech Kaczynski, his wife and 130 others. We sympathies with the families of the victims and the people of Poland,” Thubten Samphel, a spokesperson for the Dalai Lama’s government-in-exile, told IANS.
Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama met Kaczynski a number of times.
The Dalai Lama visited Poland in 1993, 2000, 2008 and 2009.
“The Polish president was a great admirer of the Dalai Lama and made it a point to meet him whenever he visited Poland,” he said.
The Dalai Lama, who is now touring Europe, was in July 2009 made an honorary citizen of Warsaw.
In Poland, the Nobel laureate is already an honorary citizen of Wroclaw and has an honorary doctorate from the Jagiellonian University.
In December 2008, the Buddhist monk attended ceremonies to mark the 25th anniversary of the award of Nobel Peace Prize to Polish labour leader Lech Walesa.
Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed Saturday with his wife Maria and 130 others including almost all his aides when their aircraft crashed in foggy weather while landing in western Russia.
- Dalai Lama expresses grief over death of Polish president - Apr 12, 2010
- Dalai Lama named honorary citizen of Warsaw (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama becomes honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 29, 2009
- Polish president, a friend of India, dies in air crash - Apr 10, 2010
- Warsaw names Dalai Lama honorary citizen - May 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Tibetans hail Dalai Lama-Obama meet - Jul 17, 2011
- Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu's death - May 07, 2011
- Lobsang Sangay is Kalon Tripa, to carry on Tibetan legacy (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Dalai Lama back in Dharamsala - Dec 13, 2008
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama heads to Delhi for medical examination - Jan 19, 2012
- Tibetans welcome Obama, Dalai Lama meeting - Jul 16, 2011
- South Africa slammed for denying visa to Dalai Lama - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: 25th anniversary, air crash, buddhist monk, dalai lama, deep sorrow, honorary citizen, honorary doctorate, jagiellonian university, labour leader, lech walesa, nobel laureate, nobel peace prize, people of poland, polish president lech, president lech kaczynski, thubten, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader, western russia, wife maria