Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, diesNovember 3rd, 2011 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 3 (IANS) A nun died after she set herself on fire Thursday in China’s Sichuan province, authorities said.
Qiu Xiang from a nunnery in Dawu county of Garze Tibetan autonomous prefecture set herself ablaze around 12.50 p.m. at a road crossing, reported Xinhua.
Qiu Xiang, about 35, was a native of Tongfoshan village.
Xinhua said it was unclear why she killed herself.
A probe has been launched.
Religious affairs officials Oct 18 had said that recent self-immolation attempts by Tibetan monks in southwest China appeared to have been instigated by a clique jockeying for power in the overseas Tibetan community headed by spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
Several Tibetan monks attemped self-immolation in Aba county of Aba Tibetan-Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan province, this year. All of them were current or former monks of Kirti monastery.
In October, a man set himself on fire at midday near a market in Aba. Police extinguished the flames and sent him to a local hospital. The 20-year-old man had previously been a monk at Kirti monastery.
Kirti is a monastery of the Gelugpa, also known as the Yellow Hat sect. It is one of 42 monasteries in Aba county.
- Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China - Feb 14, 2012
- Self-immolation bids sign of overseas instigation: China - Oct 18, 2011
- Two more Tibetan monks jailed in immolation case - Aug 31, 2011
- Two Tibetans set themselves afire in China - Oct 08, 2011
- China monks face trial on charge of aiding suicide - Aug 26, 2011
- Tibetan monk immolates self in China - Aug 15, 2011
- Tibetan monk jailed for 11 years in immolation case - Aug 29, 2011
- Chinese monks prevented from self-immolation - Sep 26, 2011
- End repression in Tibet: Amnesty - Sep 29, 2011
- Tibetan monk self-immolates in China - Mar 15, 2012
- 26 missing after bus falls into China river (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- 27 missing after bus falls into China river - Jul 18, 2010
- Chinese monk's self-immolation was planned: Police - Apr 23, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- End repression in Tibet, say exiles - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: aba, dalai lama, flames, gelugpa, local hospital, midday, monasteries, monastery, monk, nunnery, religious affairs, self immolation, sichuan province, southwest china, spiritual leader, tibetan autonomous prefecture, tibetan community, tibetan monks, xinhua, yellow hat sect