Thuram has heart problem, football career at riskJune 28th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 28 (DPA) Former France international defender Lilian Thuram said that he was suffering from a heart defect which may force him to end his career. Because of the illness he will not sign with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), Thuram Friday told journalists at the Parc des Princes, the home of the Paris side.
“The doctors have detected a cardiac defect. It seems to be the same illness that my brother had a few years ago and which cost him his life on a basketball court. In a month, the doctors will have the definitive results,” Thuram said.
Thuram said he would take a decision on whether to end his career when all the test results are known.
The ailment was detected during a medical examination that was generally viewed as a mere formality before he signed to play for PSG.
The French media reported Thursday that the 36-year-old Thuram had signed a one-year contract with PSG that would pay him about 200,000 euros.
Thuram earned 140 caps for France, more than any other French footballer, before announcing his retirement from international football after France’s elimination from Euro 2008. He won the World Cup in 1998 and the European title in 2000.
- Italian Ancelotti set to coach Paris Saint-Germain - Dec 29, 2011
- Paris Saint-Germain signs Brazilian defender Silva - Jul 15, 2012
- Ibrahimovic, Silva sold to PSG, admits Berlusconi - Jul 13, 2012
- Swedish striker Ibrahimovic joins Paris Saint-Germain - Jul 18, 2012
- Paris Saint-Germain sign Maxwell - Jan 13, 2012
- France's PSG signs Brazilian Alex - Jan 28, 2012
- Beckham likely to sign with Paris Saint-Germain - Dec 21, 2011
- Inter Milan made bid for Tevez, says club president - Jan 16, 2012
- Pato likely to stay with AC Milan - Jan 13, 2012
- Manchester City reject Milan's Tevez bid - Dec 11, 2011
- PSG eyeing Liverpool's Suarez - Feb 16, 2012
- Monaco coach drops former French striker Giuly - Jun 29, 2012
- Silva to stay at AC Milan: Berlusconi - Jun 15, 2012
- AC Milan confirm talks for sale of Brazil star Silva - Jun 13, 2012
- Corinthians chasing AC Milan striker Pato - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: ailment, basketball court, cardiac defect, definitive results, euro 2008, football career, footballer, formality, france international, french media, heart defect, heart problem, international football, lilian thuram, medical examination, parc des princes, paris saint germain, psg, test results, world cup