Three UN peacekeepers killed in DarfurDecember 6th, 2009 - 4:21 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Khartoum, Dec 6 (DPA) Three UN peacekeepers were killed in an attack by unknown gunmen in Sudan’s volatile western Darfur region, a spokesman for the peacekeeping mission said.
Two of the three Rwandan UNAMID soldiers died at the scene of the attack near a government checkpoint some two kilometres from the UNAMID base. A third soldier later died of his injuries. They were among a group of 20 peacekeepers escorting a water tank when they came under fire.
The deaths brought to 20 the number of peacekeepers killed since the start of the UNAMID mission in early 2008. The mission is comprised of peacekeepers from the UN and the African Union.
Around 19,000 UNAMID soldiers and police are stationed in Darfur, a region the size of France.
According to UN estimates, around 300,000 people have died in the ongoing conflict in Darfur since 2003. A further 2.5 million people are being sheltered in refugee camps.
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- Russians kidnapped in Darfur as American released: UN - Aug 31, 2010
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- UN peacekeeping official says there is hope for Darfur - Feb 12, 2010
- British government 'strongly condemns' the kidnapping of two peacekeepers in Darfur - Aug 17, 2010
- Six UN peacekeepers killed in Darfur - Jul 09, 2008
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Two killed as UN helicopter crashes in Sudan - Sep 30, 2008
- Al Arabiya: Jordanian U.N. peacekeepers abducted in South Darfur released - Aug 17, 2010
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- 48 killed in Sudan violence - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: 5 million, conflict in darfur, darfur, deaths, estimates, gunmen, khartoum, kilometres, nairobi, peacekeeping mission, refugee camps, rwandan, soldier, spokesman, sudan, un peacekeepers, water tank