Three rhinos found dead in Kenyan national parkApril 15th, 2012 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, April 15 (IANS) Wildlife authorities in Kenya have found old skulls and bones of three rhinos in the world famous Lake Nakuru National Park, about 120 km southwest of capital city of Nairobi.
According to Kenya Wildlife Service(KWS), the weather-eroded bones and skulls estimated to be about six months old or more were found this week by KWS rangers during patrolling in a swampy part of the park which was inaccessible earlier.
“One of the skulls is of a black rhino while the other two are of white rhinos. Earlier, two rhinos had been poached in two separate incidents over the last one week,” Xinhua quoted KWS as saying in a statement Saturday in Nairobi.
Rhinos are endangered species due to high demand for their horns especially in Asia.
The rhinos that have been left are found in small numbers in very few protected areas around the east African nation and in some other African countries.
To conserve the remaining rhino populations, great conservation efforts are being taken in Kenya.
Even in these protected areas like national parks, the rhinos still face a huge threat from poachers due to high demand for their horns, used in different traditional medicines such as aphrodisiac or, the substance that increases sexual desire as well as to prepare ornamental pieces.
- Kenya seizes Nigeria-bound 600 kg illegal ivory - Jun 23, 2012
- Ivory poachers shot dead in Kenya - Apr 22, 2012
- Rhino horn more expensive than gold in South Africa - Jan 17, 2011
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Two poachers shot dead in Kaziranga - Dec 13, 2010
- One-horned rhino killed in Kaziranga park - Oct 28, 2010
- Rhino mother, baby killed in South Africa - Feb 11, 2012
- Now dogs to the rescue of Kaziranga rhinos - Jan 22, 2012
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- South African game park officials arrested for rhino poaching - Mar 01, 2012
- Commandos trained by NSG to combat poachers - Jun 25, 2010
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: african countries, black rhino, conservation efforts, east african nation, horns, kws rangers, lake nakuru national park, nairobi, nakuru national park, ornamental pieces, poachers, rhino, rhinos, sexual desire, skulls and bones, traditional medicines, white rhinos, wildlife authorities, wildlife service, xinhua