Three mn people in Syria in need of assistance: UNAugust 2nd, 2012 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 2 (IANS/AKI) Almost three million people in Syria are in need of assistance as the country’s civil war has devastated food production, according to a joint study by two UN organisations.
“Of this number, around 1.5 million people need urgent and immediate food assistance over the next three to six months, especially in areas that have seen the greatest conflict and population displacement,” said the report released Thursday by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP).
Fighting between opposition and government forces has claimed more than 20,000 lives since clashes started around 17 months ago, according to human rights organisations.
The crisis has resulted in a loss of 1.8 billion euros this year in the Syrian agricultural sector, as shown by the investigation.
“While the economic implications of these losses are quite grave, the humanitarian implications are far more pressing,” said WFP representative in Syria Muhannad Hadi.
“The effects of these major losses are first, and most viciously, felt by the poorest in the country,” he said.
Hadi said most of the families visited during the investigation are spending more than they make. The violence has also forced rural families to give up food farming.
“If timely assistance is not provided, the livelihood system of these vulnerable people could simply collapse in a few months’ time. Winter is fast approaching and urgent action is needed before then,” Hadi said after his mission visit to Al Hassekeh.
“Even the richest family in a village reported having food stock for only one more month,” he said.
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- UN declares end of famine in Somalia - Feb 04, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- 115 killed in Syria: Report - Sep 06, 2012
- 500,000 Libyans fed by UN food organisation - Jul 06, 2011
- 500,000 Libyans have got UN-delivered food - Jun 19, 2011
- Amnesty finds evidence of state-sponsored abuse in Syria - Jun 15, 2012
- Global food import bill may top $1 trillion in 2010 - Nov 17, 2010
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Forest fires contributing to climate change - May 12, 2011
- 40,000 Syrian refugees reach Turkey - Jul 14, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- US announces $12 mn humanitarian aid for Syria - Apr 02, 2012
- Syrian journalists killed in TV station attack - Jun 28, 2012
- Syrian army committing crimes against humanity: Italian minister - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: 5 million, agricultural sector, aki, aug 2, clashes, economic implications, fao, farming, food and agriculture organization, food assistance, food production, food stock, government forces, livelihood system, muhannad, population displacement, timely assistance, urgent action, vm, world food programme