Three Maoists killed in JharkhandJune 5th, 2008 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 4 (IANS) Three Maoist rebels were killed in a gun battle with security forces in Chatra district of Jharkhand Wednesday, police said. According to police, the gun battle took place near Bhopadih village of Chatra district, around 190 km away from Ranchi. The police raided the village on a tip-off. The Maoist rebels retaliated with gun fire when security forces asked them to surrender.
The police also arrested two Maoists.
The killed rebels include Ganesh Ganju, sub-zonal commander of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist). The Police recovered one carbine, one pistol, explosives and Maoist literature from the site.
Maoist rebels are active in 18 of the state’s 24 districts. As many as 644 civilians and 320 security personnel have died in Maoist-related violence since Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar in 2000.
- Maoist commander arrested in Jharkhand - Sep 26, 2010
- Maoist regional commander killed in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2012
- Three Maoists killed in Jharkhand gunfight - Jan 09, 2011
- Five Maoists held in Jharkhand - Jan 19, 2011
- Maoist commander arrested in Jharkhand - Jan 02, 2011
- Five Maoist rebels arrested in Jharkhand - Sep 29, 2009
- Three killed as rival Maoist groups clash - Aug 29, 2010
- Maoist commander killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Two Maoists arrested, weapons recovered - Jan 30, 2011
- One rebel killed in gunbattle - Sep 23, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 14, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested - Mar 09, 2010
- Maoist held while campaigning for wife in Jharkhand - Dec 08, 2010
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Police kill nine suspected Maoists in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: bihar, carbine, civilians, communist party of india, CPI, explosives, gun battle, gun fire, literature, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, pistol, ranchi, security forces, security personnel, violence