Three killed in Russian plane explosion (Lead)January 2nd, 2011 - 2:41 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least three passengers were killed and over 40 injured when a Russian jet carrying 134 people exploded shortly after making an emergency landing at a Siberian airport.The accident took place Saturday when the Russian Tu-154M passenger jet of Kogalymavia Airlines, which was to land at Moscow’s Domodedovo Airport, made an emergency landing at the Surgut Airport due to an engine flaming out shortly after take-off. The landing was followed by an explosion.
A spokesman for the Federal Transport Agency, Rosaviatsia, said there were 134 people on board the plane, including 116 passengers and 18 crewmembers.
According to the information posted on the airport’s website, 43 people were injured and three others were missing.
Transport Minister Igor Levitin said that the plane crew and the airport services did their best to evacuate the passengers as soon as possible. However, eyewitnesses said that fire exits had been closed for a long time and the passengers had to jump out through the flame.
- 44 including 8 foreigners killed in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Russian tourists evacuated from plane in Turkey - Jun 26, 2011
- Russia to ban planes without safety systems - Jun 26, 2011
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Russia bans ships similar to sunken Bulgaria riverboat - Jul 17, 2011
- 44 die in Russia plane crash (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Putin announces compensation worth $100,000 for blast victims - Jan 25, 2011
- Russia suspends airline after crash kills 47 - Jul 14, 2011
- Eight injured in plane crash in Moscow - Mar 22, 2010
- Suicide bombers kill 35 in Moscow airport (Fourth Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Suicide bombers kill 31 in Moscow airport (Third Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Moscow airport cops suspected of extortion - Aug 29, 2012
- 44 killed in Russia plane crash - Jun 21, 2011
- 11 die in Siberia plane crash - Aug 03, 2010
- 227 guns seized at Russian airports in 2011 - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: airlines, domodedovo airport, emergency landing, explosion, eyewitnesses, federal transport, fire exits, flame, igor levitin, kv, long time, moscow, passenger jet, plane crew, ria novosti, russian jet, russian plane, spokesman, transport agency, transport minister