Three killed in Philippines ambushApril 6th, 2009 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Zamboanga (The Philippines), April 6 (Xinhua) Three civilians were killed and several wounded in an ambush reportedly staged by Al Qaeda linked militants in the southern Philippine island of Basilan Monday, police said.
The victims were employees of a local company who were on board a pick-up truck passing through Tairan village of Lantawan town. They were “rained with bullets” by heavily armed militants, the police report said.
Authorities suspect that the ambush was carried out by the Abu Sayyaf group, a faction of which is currently under military siege to free two foreign Red Cross hostages in nearby Jolo island.
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Five militants killed in Philippines - Nov 03, 2009
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines - Feb 13, 2009
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- 21 wounded in southern Philippines grenade blast - Dec 24, 2008
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Miscreants burn down classrooms in the Philippines - May 13, 2010
Tags: abu sayyaf group, al qaeda, ambush, authorities, bullets, civilians, faction, hostages, jolo island, local company, military siege, philippines, pick up truck, police report, southern philippine island, xinhua