Three killed as bridge collapses in China (Lead)August 24th, 2012 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 24 (IANS) Three people were killed and five injured when the ramp of a multimillion-dollar bridge in northeast China collapsed early Friday morning, sending four trucks hurtling to the ground.
The ramp, about 3.5 km from the main Yangmingtan bridge, tilted to one side and crashed onto the ground at 5:30 a.m., Xinhua quoted Sun Qingde, an official, as saying.
It is at least the sixth major bridge collapse across the country since July last year. Shoddy construction and over-loading have been blamed for it.
The Yangmingtan bridge was opened to traffic in November. With a total length of 15.42 km, spanning the Songhua river in Harbin, the eight-lane bridge was claimed to be the longest in north China.
The media reported that its construction cost 1.88 billion yuan ($296 million).
Built by the China Railway First Group Co. Ltd, it was the third bridge erected across the Songhua river in the past four years.
- World's longest sea bridge opens in China - Jun 30, 2011
- Maharashtra takes step forward on Mumbai-Raigad sea bridge - Nov 24, 2011
- China truck driver jailed for overloading - Jul 25, 2012
- 11 students drowned in China - Jun 10, 2012
- Railways battle to complete strategic Brahmaputra bridge by 2015 - Apr 25, 2012
- 'The Big Lebowski' cardigan up for grabs - May 11, 2011
- India's second sea-bridge to come up in Mumbai - Sep 08, 2011
- Two more bridges across Yamuna in Delhi Metro Phase-III - Sep 15, 2011
- Bangladesh, China sign deal for bridge - Jan 04, 2012
- Akhilesh government takes ahead Agra-Lucknow Expressway project - May 18, 2012
- China diverts river water to ease drought - May 19, 2011
- Three new river bridges collapse in Jharkhand rains - Jun 21, 2011
- Four missing after boat capsizes in northeast China - Aug 20, 2010
- Bangladesh, India to start work on Feni bridge - May 05, 2012
- China to build more nuclear power plants - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: beijing, bridge collapse, bridge collapses, china railway, dollar bridge, friday morning, lane bridge, multimillion dollar, north china, northeast china, ramp, shoddy construction, songhua river, sun, third bridge, traffic, trucks, xinhua, yuan