Three injured as helicopter crash-lands into Hong Kong coachMay 1st, 2009 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, May 1 (DPA) Three people were reportedly injured when a helicopter crash-landed into a coach as it tried to take off at Hong Kong’s old airport site Friday.
The helicopter was taking off at a private flying club on the site of Hong Kong’s former Kai Tak international airport in the city centre Friday morning.
Witnesses quoted by government-run radio station RTHK said strong gusts of wind forced it out of the sky and it crash-landed into the front of a coach that was driving across the airstrip.
The coach driver and the two people on board the helicopter were injured and taken to hospital after firemen and emergency services rushed to the scene, RTHK reported.
Hong Kong’s old international airport, set in the middle of Victoria Harbour at the heart of the city, was decommissioned in 1998 when the new Chek Lap Kok airport on Lantau Island opened.
It has since been used for a number of activities including car racing and a private flying club. It is due to eventually be redeveloped as a residential and cultural district.
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- Injured Munda to convene cabinet meeting May 17 - May 14, 2012
- Munda, wife discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- Nine dead, 30 injured in Hong Kong fire - Nov 30, 2011
- Helicopter crashes in eastern Romania, killing 5 Ukrainians - Apr 27, 2012
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- DGCA orders probe into Arunachal chopper crash - Apr 19, 2011
- Army loses two pilots in Nashik chopper crash (Second lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper lands safely in Bhutan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Eight injured in plane crash in Moscow - Mar 22, 2010
- Private chopper with 6 on board crashes in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Russia helicopter crash kills three - Jul 25, 2011
- Plane crash kills five skydivers in Ukraine (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: airstrip, car racing, chek lap kok, chek lap kok airport, coach driver, crash lands, emergency services, firemen, friday morning, gusts of wind, heart of the city, helicopter crash, hong kong, kai tak international airport, lantau island, may 1, radio station, rthk, tak international, victoria harbour