Three Indians held with drugs in MalaysiaDecember 10th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Dec 10 (DPA) Malaysian airport customs police have arrested three Indian nationals and seized 66.4 kilograms of the drug ketamine worth some 1.2 million ringgit ($350,000), a news report said Thursday.
The drugs were seized Tuesday while the suspects were in transit at the Kuala Lumpur International Aiport. They were bound for Bali island in Indonesia, said customs Assistant Director General Mohamad Hassim Pardi.
The three suspects, aged 25 to 35, had arrived from Bangladesh, he said.
“My men had received a tip-off that they were carrying illicit drugs in their luggage. The three were arrested while waiting for their connecting flight,” the official was quoted as saying by the Star online news portal.
“This is the second time that we have seized drugs in transit,” Mohamad Hassim said.
He said 36 foreign nationals, 27 of them Indian nationals, have been detained for attempting to smuggle drugs since January.
He said the total value of the drugs seized since January was 45 million ringgit ($12.85 million), a 155 percent increase from the drugs worth 17.6 million ringgit seized in the entire year of 2008.
He said the suspects would be charged with drug trafficking which carries a mandatory death sentence by hanging.
- Six foreigners held in Malaysian drug bust - Nov 21, 2011
- Indian caught with drugs in Malaysia - Jul 23, 2010
- Two Indians held in Malaysia with drugs - Aug 10, 2010
- Drugs hidden with Indian prayer ash seized in Malaysia - Jan 05, 2010
- Malaysia raids football gambling syndicates - Jul 05, 2012
- Malaysian police seize ketamine believed to be from India - Oct 14, 2008
- Malaysia detains Indian man for drug trafficking - Mar 21, 2009
- Indian detained in Malaysia, drugs seized - Jul 07, 2009
- Three brothers face hangman's noose in Malaysia - Jun 03, 2011
- Four held for illicit manufacturing of Ketamine - Jun 02, 2011
- Indian held with huge amount of ketamine in Malaysia - May 06, 2009
- Malaysian family minister to quit - Mar 12, 2012
- Two Indians freed from death row in Malaysia - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian national sentenced to death in Malaysia - Jan 04, 2011
- Indian lawyer missing after meeting friends in Malaysia - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: 6 million, assistant director general, bali island, connecting flight, customs, dpa, drug ketamine, drug trafficking, foreign nationals, illicit drugs, indian nationals, indians, kilograms, kuala lumpur international, luggage, mandatory death sentence, mohamad, news report, second time, total value