Three Indians among top 100 shortlisted world intellectualsMay 6th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by admin
New York, May 6 (IANS) Three Indians are among 100 names shortlisted by a reputed US foreign policy magazine of the world’s top 100 public intellectuals. The magazine has asked readers to vote in their favourites to finally pick the top 20. Indians in the list published in the May-June issue of Foreign Policy magazine are historian Ramachandra Guha, political psychologist Ashis Nandy and environmentalist Sunita Narain.
Also listed are four Indian Americans: development economist and Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, novelist Salman Rushdie, journalist and author Fareed Zakaria and neurosuregon V.S. Ramachandran.
Nobel Laureate microfinancier from Bangladesh Muhammad Yunus and Pakistan’s lawyer-politician Aitzaz Ahsan too are among the thinkers who, according to the Washington-based magazine, are “shaping the tenor of our times”.
In defining the criteria for its selection, the magazine said the candidates, “among the world’s most sophisticated thinkers… have shown distinction in their particular field as well as an ability to influence wider debate, often far beyond the borders of their own country”.
The magazine goes on to task online readers to choose who should receive top honours by voting for the world’s top five public intellectuals. Based on the votes, it will publish the list of the top 20 public intellectuals in its July-August issue.
- 'Amartya Sen, Zakaria among world's top 20 intellectuals' - Jul 04, 2008
- Dalai Lama to speak of happiness at Penguin Lecture - Dec 02, 2011
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- Ramachandra Guha to speak on makers of political tradition - Oct 15, 2010
- Yunus remains Grameen Bank chief despite court verdicts - May 07, 2011
- Bangladeshi Nobel laureate meets Sharjah ruler - May 10, 2012
- Manmohan Singh, Tendulkar among 10 Indians in "Time 100" - Apr 30, 2010
- Manmohan, Tendulkar among world's most influential: Time (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Pranab a great political scholar: Amartya Sen - Jul 23, 2012
- Amjad Ali Khan, Jogen Chowdhury honoured - May 06, 2011
- The year when Indian non-fiction came of age (Flashback 2009) - Dec 13, 2009
- India's ex-judge, Grameen supporters rally behind Yunus - Feb 24, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Dhaka court hears petition challenging Yunus' ouster - Mar 06, 2011
- Rich tributes to Tagore on 71st death anniversary - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: ahsan, borders, environmentalist, fareed zakaria, foreign policy magazine, honours, microfinancier, muhammad yunus, nandy, nobel laureate amartya, novelist, politician, psychologist, salman rushdie, shortlisted, sunita, thinkers, top 100 public intellectuals, v s ramachandran, world intellectuals