Three held in Bangladesh passports racketJuly 22nd, 2011 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 22 (IANS) Three Bangladesh passport office staff have been arrested after 700 fake passports and passport forms were seized from their possession, the Daily Star reported Friday.
The three included an assistant director of the passport office, and were arrested Thursday night by the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) of the Bangladesh police.
The RAB team also held four alleged brokers, who in connivance with the officials, would get a passport under fake name and address for anyone who paid, said Major Nuruzzaman, an RAB officer.
The arrested men were making money by delivering these fake passports to the Hajj pilgrims, he added.
- Satellite equipment seized in Bangladesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Bangladeshi journalists' bodies exhumed after over two months - Apr 26, 2012
- Bangladesh to have sophisticated crime database - Dec 16, 2011
- 3,000 arrested in Bangladesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Four Bangladesh Islamist students arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- 13,500 bullets, explosives found in Bangladesh forest - Jul 29, 2011
- Bangladesh 'death squad' trained by UK police resumes extra-judicial killing - Jan 27, 2011
- Bangladeshi couple jailed for 37 years - Jun 03, 2012
- Explosives, bullets found in Bangladesh - Dec 26, 2010
- Bangladeshi govt "death squad" trained by UK counter-terrorism officers: Wikileaks - Dec 22, 2010
- Bangladesh bans Facebook - May 30, 2010
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Hajj corruption scandal: Pak SC cracks down on investigating agency - Jan 12, 2011
- Immigration racket busted in Punjab, 1,200 passports recovered - Jun 21, 2011
- 8,000 sued over Bangladesh clash - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: assistant director, bangladesh, battalion, connivance, daily star, fake passports, hajj pilgrims, making money, name and address, office staff, passport forms, passport office, possession, rab, rapid action, thursday night