Three government anti-drug agents killed in PhilippinesApril 13th, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Cotabato City (Philippines), April 13 (DPA) Three government anti-drug agents were killed in an attack Monday in the southern Philippines, the military and police said.
Three agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency were also wounded in the ambush in Sultan Kudarat town in Maguindanao province, 930 km south of Manila.
Colonel Jonathan Ponce, an army spokesman, said the agents were on a mission to raid a suspected safe house of a notorious drug pusher in the town when they were attacked.
“The agents had just gotten off their vehicles when they were fired upon by unidentified gunmen,” he said.
Superintendent Danilo Bacas, a regional police spokesman, said government forces have launched pursuit operations to track down the assailants.
Bacas said investigators suspect that members of the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) might have been involved in the attack, which happened near the rebel group’s main headquarters.
“We are still determining the group behind the attack, but we are looking into the possible involvement of some rebels operating in the area,” he said.
The MILF is the largest Muslim rebel group fighting for a separate Islamic state in the southern Philippines.
Peace talks between the MILF and the Philippine government have been suspended since August 2008 due to heavy fighting over a failed deal that would have expanded a Muslim autonomous region.
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- 27 killed in fighting in the Philippines - Mar 28, 2009
- Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strike - Mar 02, 2009
- Rebel commander captured in Philippines - Sep 23, 2009
- Three rebel commanders killed in the Philippines - Jun 20, 2009
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
- Philippine massacre suspect blames Muslim rebels for carnage - Nov 27, 2009
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippine blast - Jul 07, 2009
- 100 Muslim rebels killed in Philippine offensive: Army - Aug 23, 2008
- Toll in Philippine political massacre reaches 57 (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- Seven soldiers killed in Philippine clashes - Sep 30, 2008
Tags: army spokesman, autonomous region, colonel jonathan, cotabato city philippines, drug enforcement agency, drug pusher, government forces, maguindanao province, moro islamic liberation, moro islamic liberation front, notorious drug, peace talks, philippine drug enforcement agency, philippine government, police spokesman, rebel group, regional police, southern philippines, sultan kudarat, unidentified gunmen