Three gang bosses sentenced to death in ChinaOctober 22nd, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Oct.22 (ANI): Three gang leaders were sentenced to death yesterday and three others got the ultimate penalty - with a two-year reprieve - as courts in Chongqing municipality began a series of organized-crime trials.
Yang Tianqing, 35, was given the death sentence after he was convicted of murder, assault, extortion, coercive business practices and other charges linked to “mafia-style gang” operations, according to a statement issued by the No 1 Intermediate People’s Court in China’s most populous city.
Liu Chenghu, an important member of Yang’s gang, was also sentenced to death after he was convicted of five charges, including running a “mafia-style” organization.
Two other members of the crime syndicate were sentenced to death with reprieves, meaning they will not be immediately executed and that there is a chance they may have their sentences commuted to life in prison. Five other gangsters received jail terms, ranging from 11 years to life.
A total of 20 other members of Liu’s crime family were jailed for between one and 17 years.
More than 1,500 suspects linked to organized crime groups, including more than a dozen senior police officers and judicial officials, have been arrested since June 20, when the municipality launched its largest-ever crackdown on mafia-style gangs. (ANI)
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- French citizen gets death for drug trade in China - Aug 09, 2010
- Tomb robbers sentenced to death in central China - May 15, 2010
- Brazilian judge assassinated - Aug 13, 2011
- Former high-ranking Chinese judicial official sentenced to death over rape and corruption - Apr 14, 2010
- China executes former corrupt justice official - Jul 07, 2010
- China sentences crime boss to 20 years in jail - Nov 05, 2009
- 18 mafia leaders jailed in China - Jun 01, 2010
- In crackdown on graft, China probed 2,723 officials in 2010 - Mar 11, 2011
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,