Three gang bosses sentenced to death in ChinaOctober 22nd, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Oct.22 (ANI): Three gang leaders were sentenced to death yesterday and three others got the ultimate penalty - with a two-year reprieve - as courts in Chongqing municipality began a series of organized-crime trials.
Yang Tianqing, 35, was given the death sentence after he was convicted of murder, assault, extortion, coercive business practices and other charges linked to “mafia-style gang” operations, according to a statement issued by the No 1 Intermediate People’s Court in China’s most populous city.
Liu Chenghu, an important member of Yang’s gang, was also sentenced to death after he was convicted of five charges, including running a “mafia-style” organization.
Two other members of the crime syndicate were sentenced to death with reprieves, meaning they will not be immediately executed and that there is a chance they may have their sentences commuted to life in prison. Five other gangsters received jail terms, ranging from 11 years to life.
A total of 20 other members of Liu’s crime family were jailed for between one and 17 years.
More than 1,500 suspects linked to organized crime groups, including more than a dozen senior police officers and judicial officials, have been arrested since June 20, when the municipality launched its largest-ever crackdown on mafia-style gangs. (ANI)
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- French citizen gets death for drug trade in China - Aug 09, 2010
- Tomb robbers sentenced to death in central China - May 15, 2010
- Brazilian judge assassinated - Aug 13, 2011
- Former high-ranking Chinese judicial official sentenced to death over rape and corruption - Apr 14, 2010
- China executes former corrupt justice official - Jul 07, 2010
- China sentences crime boss to 20 years in jail - Nov 05, 2009
- 18 mafia leaders jailed in China - Jun 01, 2010
- In crackdown on graft, China probed 2,723 officials in 2010 - Mar 11, 2011
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: 11 years, 17 years, china beijing, crackdown, crime family, crime groups, crime syndicate, death sentence, extortion, gang leaders, gangs, gangsters, jail terms, judicial officials, life in prison, mafia style, municipality, organized crime, populous city, reprieve