Three Confirmed Dead in Hungary Sludge FloodOctober 5th, 2010 - 8:47 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Seven towns were affected as a red sludge reservoir from an aluminum plant in western Hungary ruptured, sending toxic waste flooding into the area.Three people have been confirmed dead, six are missing ,and one hundred and twenty injuries have been reported so far.
The sludge is full of toxic chemicals, and is a waste product left over from the production of the aluminum. Most of the injured had been burned when the sludge seeped through their clothes to the skin. Some of the injured are in life threatening condition, and an older woman, and three year old child, and a young man have all died.
A state of emergency has been declared by the government in three different counties. Several hundred tons of plaster were poured into the Marcal River in hopes that the toxic sludge would be stopped. The Ajkai Timfoldgyar plant where the disaster occurred is located in Ajka, 100 miles southwest of Budapest.
According to the Associated Press, many of the injuries which have been sustained will likely worsen with time. Chemical burns which were caused by this type of sludge can take days to reveal themselves, and what seems like superficial injuries may be much deeper into the tissues.
- Hungary orders company to shut down after toxic sludge, ecological disaster feared - Oct 06, 2010
- Death toll rises to 8 in Hungarian toxic mud spill - Oct 12, 2010
- Hungary toxic sludge spill reaches Danube river - Oct 07, 2010
- At least four dead in toxic chemical flood in Hungary - Oct 05, 2010
- Death toll rises to 5 in Hungarian toxic mud spill - Oct 08, 2010
- Hungary Toxic Sludge May Reach Danube - Oct 06, 2010
- Sludge kills 4 in Hungary - Oct 05, 2010
- Plastic toys can harm your children - May 17, 2011
- Long lasting chemicals toxic to humans and the environment - Dec 22, 2010
- Huge toxic waste killing animals in China - Aug 15, 2011
- Increasing pollution levels choking India's lakes - Sep 29, 2011
- Green sludge can protect groundwater from radioactivity - Mar 18, 2011
- Man kills four in Hungary sword attack - Apr 07, 2012
- Pieters out for season, might miss Euro 2012 - Apr 17, 2012
- US court absolves Union Carbide in Bhopal gas tragedy (Second Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,