Three civilians killed in Chechnya militant attackJune 13th, 2008 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Grozny (Russia), June 13 (RIA Novosti) Three civilians were killed, one injured and several others abducted when a group of Chechnya militants attacked a village in Russia’s North Caucasus region, a local police source said Friday. According to the source, the gang of some 60 militants carried out the attack on Benoi-Vedeno village in Nozhai-Yurt district of Chechnya Thursday night. The gang was led by Usman Muntsigov, who is on the federal wanted list, the source said.
The militants burnt down five houses in the village. All of those killed were members of one family, the source said.
He said the gunmen took hostage several civilians, including a former deputy head of the Benoi-Vedeno administration.
A search for the attackers was under way.
Sporadic terrorist attacks are common in Russia’s North Caucasus republics, although the active phase of the Kremlin campaign to fight militants and terrorists in Chechnya is officially over.
Violence often spills over into neighbouring republics, in particular Ingushetia and Daghestan.
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- 30 injured in blast in Russia - Aug 18, 2010
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- At least four dead after shooting in Russia's Chechen parliament - Oct 19, 2010
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Blast rocks Russia's North Caucasus - Nov 26, 2010
- Five policemen among seven killed in Chechnya suicide blasts - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: abducted, attackers, caucasus republics, chechnya, civilians, daghestan, deputy head, five houses, grozny russia, gunmen, hostage, ingushetia, kremlin, militants, north caucasus region, police source, ria novosti, terrorist attacks, thursday night, wanted list