Three brothers lynched, buried alive for witchcraftOctober 3rd, 2010 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
La Paz, Oct 3 (IANS/EFE) At least four men, including three brothers, were lynched and buried alive for practicing witchcraft as part of “community justice” by a group of people in Bolivia, media reports said.
On Friday, police found the body of a man who was beaten up and buried alive Aug 20 in a village in the central Cochabamba region by peasants who accused him of practicing witchcraft to kill a farm worker.
According to newspapers, Jorge Cano Rojas, a peasant of Pajcha community, was beaten up and buried alive in front of his five children so that “justice was done” in the death of another local resident.
Three weeks ago a similar incident occurred in Cochabamba, where the community members tortured and buried alive three brothers whom they accused of killing another farm worker.
The government of the Aymara Indian Evo Morales and some indigenous organisations deny that lynching is part of “community justice” in the area.
The Catholic Church, ombudsman and the UN have expressed concern over the increase of lynching cases in the country.
According to the country’s ombudsman, 20 lynching cases have been reported in Bolivia so far this year. The UN has counted at least 30 cases since 2009, without including 77 thwarted attempts.
- Bolivia to withdraw from UN drug convention - Jun 24, 2011
- Journalist siblings found slain in Bolivia - Feb 28, 2012
- Mob in Guatemala kills man who murdered two kids - Sep 13, 2012
- Bolivian miner trapped in Chile to get new job - Oct 10, 2010
- Bolivia nationalises four power companies - May 02, 2010
- Priest Who Gave His Blessing To Evo Morales Found With Cocaine - Aug 01, 2010
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Tribal woman killed for suspected witchcraft in Tripura - Feb 11, 2012
- Bolivian firm introduces coca-based soft drink - Jan 19, 2011
- Bolivian president has knee surgery - Nov 08, 2010
- Mexican rights body probes attack on reporter - May 14, 2012
- 15 dead in Bolivia accidents - Jun 25, 2010
- Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projects - Mar 18, 2010
Tags: attempts, aymara indian, bolivia, cano, catholic church, community justice, community members, evo morales, farm worker, four men, hv, la paz, newspapers, ombudsman, peasant, peasants, practicing witchcraft