Three Britons held for running over Asian-origin kids (Lead)August 21st, 2012 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 21 (IANS) Three men have been arrested after two Asian-origin children - aged two and 10 - were knocked down by a car in Britain’s Leeds, police said Tuesday.
On Monday night, West Yorkshire Police arrested a 36-year-old man from Leeds on suspicion of dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident. Police also recovered a vehicle, The Sun reported.
Police found CCTV footage of a silver-grey Vauxhall Astra fleeing the scene after hitting toddler Rayhan Saleem and his 10-year-old sister Sabah.
The children were crossing the road at a speed bump outside their home in Hyde Park, Leeds, Saturday after buying onions for their mother, who was making a meal to celebrate Eid.
The accident took place on Brudenell Road, near the Makkah Masjid Mosque in Leeds.
Both children suffered massive head injuries, and Sabah is still critical after surgery.
Rayhan has been moved out of the intensive care unit at Leeds General Infirmary.
The Daily Mail said police confirmed they have arrested three men from Leeds — aged 39, 36 and 26 — in connection with the incident.
The 39-year-old was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and the 26-year-old was held on suspicion of assisting an offender.
The children’s aunt, Saima Rafique, said her niece remains in a critical condition.
But Rayhan was much better and walking around in the ward, she said.
“Most likely what happened is that Sabah tried protecting her brother and she took the brunt of the accident,” she said.
The children’s parents, Tazeem Noor and Mohamed Saleem, were at their daughter’s bedside.
Detective Superintendent Paul Taylor, who is leading the investigation, also said Sabah may have tried to push Rayhan from the path of the car.
- Briton held for running over Asian-origin kids - Aug 21, 2012
- Asian-origin kids run over by car in Britain - Aug 19, 2012
- Rescuers feared Gascoigne was dead after car crash - Jun 15, 2010
- Woman electrocuted on Pak village council's orders - Jan 23, 2011
- 4x4 vehicle scales Snowdon again - Sep 30, 2011
- Learner driver jailed for killing 9 year old - Dec 22, 2011
- Indian woman killed in Rome accident - Apr 12, 2011
- Asian jailed in Britain for framing innocent man - Aug 17, 2012
- Russian held for German brothel shooting - Sep 14, 2012
- Prince Harry back with lingerie model - Dec 19, 2011
- Charlie Sheen's porn star pal arrested for drink driving - Feb 06, 2011
- Pakistani kills wife, four kids - Jun 30, 2012
- British police to be trained to spot sorcery - Apr 28, 2012
- Hibernian goalkeeper Graham Stack arrested - Nov 09, 2011
- Pakistani woman electrocuted to death for eloping - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: asian origin, assisting an offender, critical condition, daily mail, dangerous driving, hyde park, intensive care unit, leeds general infirmary, makkah masjid, massive head injuries, noor, paul taylor, sabah, saima, saleem, silver grey, speed bump, three britons, vauxhall astra, west yorkshire police