Three blasts rock UN office in AfghanistanOctober 23rd, 2010 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 23 (IANS) A UN office in Afghanistan’s Herat city was hit by three blasts Saturday when a group of militants stormed the premises, a media report said.
“Armed militants attacked the office of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) in Herat city with explosions and gunfire,” Xinhua news agency quoted a security official as saying.
The official said that the attackers could be suicide bombers.
Security forces cordoned off the area and were not allowing journalists access.
Sporadic firing was still continuing, he added.
A spokesman of the UNAMA office in Kabul, Nazifullah Salarzai, confirmed the attack but said details would be given after investigation.
- Four killed in Kabul blasts (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Blasts in Kabul - Aug 19, 2011
- 11 die in Kabul attack after Obama trip (Third Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Militants storm Kabul hotel (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- UN chief condemns attack on Afghan UN office - Oct 24, 2010
- Suicide blasts in Kabul after Obama visit - May 02, 2012
- Eight die in Kabul attack after Obama trip (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Suicide bombers attack Kabul shortly after Obama's visit - May 03, 2012
- Eight killed in Afghan bank attack - Feb 19, 2011
- 48 killed in Kabul terror siege (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Suicide bomber hits Afghan army base - Apr 16, 2011
- 3,021 Afghan civilians killed in 2011: UN - Feb 04, 2012
- Wave of suicide bombings rock Kabul - Feb 26, 2010
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, assistance mission, attackers, blasts rock, explosions, gunfire, herat, journalists, premises, security forces, security official, spokesman, suicide bombers, three blasts, unama, united nations, united nations assistance mission in afghanistan, xinhua news agency