Thousands remain without power supply in CaliforniaDecember 4th, 2011 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 4 (IANS) Tens of thousands of US houses were witnessing blackout Saturday morning even as most of them affected by the strong winds that blew out southern California Wednesday night had regained power supply.
According to the Department of Water and Power, 24,000 of its 1.4 million customers were still without power as of 6 a.m. Saturday, Xinhua reported.
The department said that their crews were working round the clock to restore power and over 189,000 customers regained power supply.
The violent offshore windstorm, dubbed “Santa Ana,” occasionally gusted to near 100 miles (160 km) per hour Wednesday night and early Thursday morning as one of the fiercest winds in recent memory.
It knocked down trees, utility poles and power lines, sparked fires, left over 200,000 families in the dark and caused a number of flights to divert to other airports.
The Los Angeles County announced a state of emergency Thursday.
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- One killed as violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Violent winds leave trail of destruction in Kashmir, one dead (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Windstorm causes widespread damage across Kashmir Valley (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Kashmir windstorm eases out, leaves behind trail of destruction - Mar 21, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Life limping back after Cyclone Thane's destruction - Dec 31, 2011
- Hot morning in Delhi, clear day ahead - Apr 21, 2012
- Storm knocks Washington powerless (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Canada is bracing up for Hurricane Maria - Sep 16, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Nightlong windstorm rattles Kashmir Valley - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: airports, blackout, clock, fires, flights, los angeles county, power supply, santa ana, saturday morning, southern california, state of emergency, strong winds, tens of thousands, thursday morning, trees, utility poles, water and power, wednesday night, windstorm, xinhua