Thousands in Agra sign anti-terror pledgeDecember 14th, 2008 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 14 (IANS) Thousands of people in Agra Sunday signed a charter demanding a “clear-cut action programme” to combat terrorism in the wake of the Mumbai carnage.Representatives of business chambers, social organisations, and artists as also religious heads joined the campaign.
The organisers, Citizens of Agra Forum, said they would collect pledges signed by at least 100,000 people and send these to the president next month.
“We will get signatures from at least 100,000 citizens of Agra and send these to the president with our demand for a clear-cut action programme to contain terrorism, internal and external,” Harvijay Bahia, convener of the programme, told IANS.
“We feel people at the grassroots have to be mobilised and sensitised to be vigilant and weed out undesirable elements from our midst,” he said.
Ashok Jain, chief organiser of the month-long campaign, said: “Agra, the city of the Taj Mahal, has already received several threats and needs to be extra cautious. That is why we have launched the programme to involve all sections of society.”
- Online campaign in Agra against traffic chaos (Letter from Agra) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- Akhilesh promises a new Agra - Jun 19, 2012
- Rescue the dying Yamuna to save the Taj, appeal activists - Mar 25, 2012
- Candlelight march in Agra in Hazare's support - Apr 07, 2011
- Agra citizens demand firm action against encroachers - Mar 25, 2012
- Agra city going green - the voluntary way - Aug 09, 2010
- Agra runs on Valentine's Day, Sena posts 'love guards' - Feb 14, 2011
- CPI-M youth wing's e-battle to extradite Anderson - Jul 08, 2010
- Financial protests spread across the globe - Oct 16, 2011
- 134 Brazilian prisoners escape in two jailbreaks - Nov 28, 2011
- Youths must be sensitised about environment: President - May 30, 2012
- On Earth day, city of Taj spreads threat-awareness - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran should clarify outstanding nuclear issues : IAEA - Nov 18, 2011
- Crime erupts in Brazilian city as cops go on strike - Feb 05, 2012
- Agra's war on plastic: Nothing succeeds like success - Jan 26, 2011