Thousands homeless due to heavy rains in BrazilSeptember 13th, 2009 - 8:00 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Sep 13 (EFE) Heavy rains in southern Brazil over the last few days have killed two people and forced some 19,000 people to abandon their homes, officials said.
In the state of Santa Catarina, the hardest hit by the storm, a 60-year-old woman was drowned on a highway flooded by the Ararangua River near the town of Praia Grande, according to the latest bulletin from regional officials.
In the neighboring state of Rio Grande do Sul, a man of 45 died Saturday when the Mel River overflowed its banks in the municipality of Irai and swept his car away.
The recent rains have increased the number of homeless people in Santa Catarina to some 19,000, including those hit by a wind storm that caused the deaths of four people last Monday in the town of Guaraciaba on the Argentine border.
During the last few hours, the level of several rivers has risen considerably and some have overflowed their banks, making a number of national and regional highways impassable, while isolating various towns in the southern part of the state.
Santa Catarina’s Civil Defense said that 1,200 people are isolated in eight different villages in the rural area of Turvo municipality.
The weather forecast warns that the storm will continue until Sunday, dropping as much as 150 mm of rain in southern Santa Catarina, which will increase the risk of mudslides and floods.
Earlier this week in Argentina, the same storm system pummeled several small towns in the northeastern province of Misiones, taking 11 lives.
Another 56 people were hospitalized in the province, 16 in serious condition, while the number of evacuees rose to 400, according to sources cited by the official Telam news agency.
Meanwhile Argentine President Cristina Fernandez pledged to rebuild destroyed homes and help restore the victims’ farm-based livelihoods.
According to authorities in Misiones, the powerful wind storm destroyed around 100 homes, four schools and a health clinic.
- 13 killed, 100 injured in tornadoes in Argentina, Brazil - Sep 09, 2009
- Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil - Apr 25, 2010
- Five dead in Brazil air force plane crash - Aug 03, 2011
- 25 die in Brazil accident - Mar 06, 2011
- 22 die in Brazil road accident - Mar 05, 2011
- Death toll in Brazil floods rises to 84 (Lead) - Nov 26, 2008
- 72 killed in heavy rains in Brazil - Nov 26, 2008
- Wreckage of 16th century ship discovered off Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Chile mudslide leaves 3,000 stranded - May 31, 2012
- Zoo presents 'royal tiger couple' - William and Kate - Apr 29, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams Big Apple; leaves 3 mn powerless in US - Aug 28, 2011
- Heavy rains, flooding batter Mexico - Oct 14, 2011
- 14 dead in Peru floods - Feb 10, 2012
- 31 dead in Brazil storms - Jun 22, 2010
- Hundreds evacuated after tropical storm hits Mexico - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: argentine president, brazil rio, civil defense, health clinic, heavy rains, homeless people, irai, last monday, mudslides, northeastern province, praia grande, regional highways, regional officials, rio de janeiro, rio grande, santa catarina, southern brazil, storm system, weather forecast, wind storm