Thousands flock for Obamas “We Are One” pre-inauguration concertJanuary 19th, 2009 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, January 19 (ANI): Thousands of Americans poured in the city of Washington to laud Barack Obama and his family at a pre-inauguration rock concert on January 18.
The President-elect along with wife Michelle, daughters Sasha and Malia, was received with cheers as they arrived at Lincoln Memorial for the star-studded “We Are One” gig.
A high-profile lineup, including Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Beyonce, Jon Bon Jovi, John Legend, Shakira and James Taylor performed at the free event - two days before US welcomes its first African-American President to begin his term in the office.
Those giving historical readings, to honour Civil War president Abraham Lincoln and the American outdoors, were Jamie Foxx, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks and Jack Black.
While Springsteen opened the concert by singing the Rising, Bono referred to Obamas victory as the finale of “the Irish dream, the European dream, the African dream, the Israeli dream and also the Palestinian dream.”
“On Tuesday, that dream comes to pass,” The Telegraph quoted Bono as saying.
The would-be-44th-President repeated tunes with folk singer Pete Seeger as he sang “This Land is Your Land”, and by the end of the concert urged national struggle.
He said: “There is no doubt that our road will be long, that our climb will be steep. But never forget that the true character of our nation is revealed not during times of comfort and ease, but by the right we do when the moment is hard,” he said.
“Despite the enormity of the task that lies ahead, I stand here today as hopeful as ever that the United States of America will endure, that it will prevail, that the dream of our founders will live on.” (ANI)
- Thousands tap their feet as Obama celebrates 'American renewal' - Jan 19, 2009
- Star-studded concert to headline Obama bash - Jan 13, 2009
- Bono, Beyonce to join Springsteen at Obama Inaugural bash - Jan 13, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- Obama inauguration marathon draws top celebrity talent - Jan 16, 2009
- Obama faces stormy waters as 44th US president - Jan 14, 2009
- At history's doors, Obama holds hope of American renewal - Jan 19, 2009
- Stars appear in Haiti telethon - Jan 23, 2010
- Bon Jovi mad over not making to the Forbes top celebrity lists - Jul 26, 2010
- Tinsel Town to invade staid Washington on Obama inauguration - Jan 17, 2009
- Jlo wants Bon Jovi to succeed her - Jul 18, 2012
- Jon Bon Jovi appointed to White House Council for Community Solutions - Dec 15, 2010
- Bon Jovi keeps playing after injuring calf muscle onstage - Jul 13, 2010
- Bon Jovi opens homeless shelter - Apr 20, 2011
- Concert kicks off Obama's inauguration - Jan 19, 2009
Tags: abraham lincoln, african dream, barack obama, civil war president, concert london, denzel washington, enormity, european dream, folk singer pete, irish dream, jamie foxx, jon bon jovi, lincoln memorial, malia, national struggle, pete seeger, president abraham lincoln, tom hanks, true character, wife michelle