Thousands evacuated after storm Halong hits Philippines

May 18th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by admin  

Manila, May 18 (Xinhua) Thousands of people were evacuated in the Philippines after tropical storm Halong hit the country’s northern province of Pangasinan, ABS-CBN News channel reported Sunday. At least one person was killed in the storm Saturday. Many houses were destroyed as heavy downpour and strong winds continued to wreak havoc in the province, the report said.

The storm changed its path Saturday and hit the Pangasinan province instead of the Ilocos Sur, as previously forecast.

Several towns in the province were without electricity since Saturday night. Many roads in the province were cut off due to the fallen trees and landslides, it said.

Officials said rescue and relief operations would be carried out after the roads are cleared. Some towns in the province have declared a state of emergency and requested for medical assistance.

In Zambales, south of Pangasinan, thousands of people were evacuated by the Red Cross. In Pampanga province, south of Zambales, heavy rains flooded many areas.

The National Disaster Coordinating Council said rains accompanied by the storm caused landslides in Visayas in central Philippines, where around 5,000 people were affected.

The authorities in central Iloilo City also declared a state of emergency due to the floods. In Batangas in southern Luzon near Metro Manila, the coast guards have suspended boat trips due to the high waves.

Local weather reports said Halong is weakening while traversing through the mountains of northern Luzon in an eastward direction.

Authorities have raised a storm alert in Batanes, Cagayan, Isabela and Babuyan group of Islands, where the storm is expected to pass.

The storm is expected to leave Philippines Sunday night or Monday morning and move toward Okinawa in Japan, according to weather reports.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |