Thought it was a joke, says scientist who won NobelOctober 6th, 2011 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, Oct 6 (IANS) Jules Hoffmann, one of the three scientists who shared the 2011 Nobel Prize for medicine, initially “thought it was a joke, just a mistake” when he heard the news here.
The Luxembourg-born French national had to cut short his trip to China and he flew back to France.
Hoffmann was in Shanghai when he was told of the Nobel Committee’s decision Monday night.
“I was enjoying the firework shows at Century Park in Pudong with my wife when my Chinese friend, Professor Cao Meixun, told me about the Nobel Prize,” Hoffmann told Shanghai Daily.
“I then thought it was a joke, just a mistake, and I couldn’t believe it.”
The scientist was to deliver a lecture at the Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, but that was cancelled.
He, however, promised he would return.
“I am already impressed by the increase of research in quality and quantity in China,” Hoffmann was quoted as saying.
Hoffmann said his research into the immunity of insects could enable scientists to find a cure for human disorders.
He shares the Nobel Prize for medicine with fellow scientists American Bruce Beutler and Canadian Ralph Steinman, who died last week.
- Nobel Prize for medicine to go to dead scientist Ralph Steinman - Oct 04, 2011
- Nobel medicine laureate Steinman dead: Rockefeller University - Oct 03, 2011
- Deceased Steinmen to remain Nobel Laureate: Nobel foundation - Oct 04, 2011
- Three scientists win Nobel Prize in Physics - Oct 04, 2011
- Three share Nobel in Medicine - Oct 03, 2011
- India witnessing rise in pancreatic cancer, say doctors - Oct 06, 2011
- Shanghai libraries come together to woo readers - Jun 15, 2012
- China's first bank for technological innovation opens - Aug 16, 2012
- Nobel Prize 2010 For Chemistry Physics And Medicine Announced - Oct 06, 2010
- Kite string causes blackout in Shanghai - Mar 31, 2012
- Chinese airline employee alleges rape by senior - May 10, 2012
- Allen apologises to Cao Yupeng after accusing him of cheating - Apr 25, 2012
- Police hunt for Chinese teens who killed cats - Feb 05, 2012
- Shanghai stages half-naked bike ride to promote green energy - Jun 03, 2012
- Chinese student held with 59 iPads - May 03, 2012
Tags: beutler, biological sciences, cao, century park, chinese friend, fellow scientists, firework, french national, hoffmann, immunity, insects, joke, meixun, monday night, nobel committee, nobel prize for medicine, pudong, shanghai institutes, steinman, trip to china