Third Russian plane heads to Yemen for evacuationJune 14th, 2011 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A third Russian Emergencies Ministry plane has left Russia for Yemen to evacuate Russian and CIS nationals, the ministry reported Tuesday.
Two Emergencies Ministry evacuation flights from Yemen brought 175 Russian and CIS citizens, including 59 children, to Moscow Monday.
Russia has already recalled 14 diplomats and their families from its embassy in Sana’a and general consulate in Aden.
There are about 800 Russians remaining in Yemen.
Anti-government protests against Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in power for 33 years, have been taking place for nearly five months.
The protests have recently escalated to frequent gun battles between Saleh loyalists and hundreds of members of Yemeni opposition tribal groups.
Several hundred people have reportedly been killed in Yemen since February, pushing the country to the brink of a civil war.
- 175 Russians evacuated from Yemen - Jun 13, 2011
- Yemeni vice president is acting president: Al Jazeera - Jun 05, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Russia sends two planes to evacuate nationals from Yemen - Jun 12, 2011
- Russia to evacuate people from Yemen - Jun 10, 2011
- Russia evacuates diplomats from Yemen - Jun 05, 2011
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- UN secretary general calls for end to Yemen clashes - May 26, 2011
- Yemeni leader orders troops to protect protesters, loyalists - Feb 24, 2011
- Yemen beefs up security to enforce emergency rule (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Yemen reinforces security as toll rises to 51 - Mar 20, 2011
- Yemen witnesses anti-Saleh protests, people seek his immediate departure - Apr 25, 2011
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: 33 years, aden, ali abdullah saleh, brink, civil war, diplomats, emergencies, five months, gun battles, june 14, loyalists, moscow, nationals, president ali abdullah saleh, protests, ria novosti, russian plane, russians, tribal groups, yemeni president