There’s still time and space for diplomacy on Iran: USAugust 14th, 2012 - 9:38 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 14 (IANS) The White House Monday reiterated that there was still “time and space” for diplomacy in dealing with Iran’s nuclear standoff.
Washington, however, vowed to continue the two-track approach of diplomacy and pressure, Xinhua reported.
“We regret that Iran has not yet made a strategic decision to address the international community’s serious concerns regarding its nuclear programme and the ongoing P5-plus-1 talks,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said at a press briefing.
“However, we continue to believe that there is time and space for diplomacy,” he said.
Carney’s remarks came at a time when Israeli media reported that the decision by the Jewish state to attack Iran’s nuclear sites was looming.
Carney stressed that “opportunity remains” for a peaceful resolution of the stalemate if Iran takes necessary steps to comply with its international obligations.
The West has long been accusing Iran of secretly developing nuclear weapons, while Tehran has always rejected such claims.
The P5+1 — namely world powers including the US, Russia, France, Britain, China and Germany — have held numerous rounds of negotiations with Iran to solve the logjam, but so far no substantial results have been achieved.
Carney also vowed to continue to increase the “scale and scope” of sanctions on Iran in a bid to force the country to “change course”.
“Continued diplomatic efforts are not inconsistent with expanded pressure. That is the essence of the two-track approach that we’ve taken, which is to step up, week by week, the pressure on Iran, the isolation on Iran, through sanctions and other means,” he said.
- Unfazed by US, India to scale up business with Iran (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Obama orders freeze on Iranian property - Feb 07, 2012
- US exempts seven countries from sanctions - Jun 12, 2012
- US imposes sanctions over 50 Iranian entities - Jul 13, 2012
- Despite sanctions and pressure, India set to do more busines with Iran (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- US exempts India from Iran oil sanctions (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- New Iran sanctions not to disrupt oil markets: US - Feb 03, 2012
- US exempts India from Iran oil sanctions (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Amid sanctions, Indian business delegation heads to Iran - Mar 09, 2012
- Iran seeking to build nuclear weapon: Cameron - Mar 07, 2012
- Unfazed by US, India to step up ties with Tehran - Feb 14, 2012
- US dismisses Iran's nuke achievements - Feb 16, 2012
- Britain doesn't rule out military action on Iran - Nov 14, 2011
- Clinton visit: India to juggle ties with US, Iran - May 05, 2012
- India under pressure to cut oil imports from Iran: Clinton - May 07, 2012
Tags: carney, diplomacy, diplomatic efforts, international obligations, israeli media, jewish state, logjam, necessary steps, nuclear standoff, nuclear weapons, peaceful resolution, sanctions on iran, serious concerns, stalemate, substantial results, talks white, time and space, track approach, white house spokesman, xinhua