There will be serious repercussions: ICCMarch 3rd, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) Taking serious note of the dastardly attack on Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said Tuesday the incident would have serious repercussions.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said the priority for the world body was the safety of the Sri Lankan cricketers.
“We note with dismay and regret the events of this morning in Lahore and we condemn this attack without reservation. There will be serious repercussions out of it and we will take some serious decisions on it,” said Lorgat.
Lorgat had last month raised serious doubts about Pakistan’s ability to be a co-host for the 2011 World Cup with India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
On Tuesday, at least six Sri Lankan cricketers including captain Mahela Jayawaredene, his deputy Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera, Tharanga Paranavitana and Chaminda Vaas were injured when the team bus came under heavy attack from gunmen enroute to the Gaddafi Stadium for the ongoing second Test match.
Five escorting policemen were killed in the attack that took place near the Liberty Market crossing.
Lorgat said: “It is a source of great sadness that there have been a number of fatalities in this attack and it is also very upsetting for the wider cricket family that some of the Sri Lanka players and one match official have been injured in this attack. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with the injured people and also the families of those who have died.”
He said that the ICC is taking all steps to get their match officials out of Pakistan as soon as possible.
“I have confirmed with both Member Boards that the remainder of the tour has been cancelled and we are working hard to get our match officials out of the area as safely and as quickly as possible. I know, also, that the Pakistan Cricket Board is working with Sri Lanka Cricket to make sure the players are flown home at the earliest opportunity,” he said.
- Pakistan to have task force for players' safety - Nov 23, 2011
- Six terrorists held for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Mar 30, 2011
- Terrorist arrested for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Nov 30, 2010
- Dastardly attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team shocks Indian board - Mar 03, 2009
- Attack in Lahore shocks cricket world (Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- New Zealand cancel Pakistan cricket tour - Mar 04, 2009
- Matthews fails fitnes test, dropped from Sri Lanka squad - Mar 23, 2012
- World Cup final: Sri Lanka wins toss, elects to bat first - Apr 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka leave for Pakistan to play two-match Test series - Feb 14, 2009
- Terrorists based in Pakistan a threat to world: India - Mar 03, 2009
- Overseas players having second thoughts on IPL - Mar 04, 2009
- Lanka recalls pacer Kulasekara for second Test against Windies - Nov 21, 2010
- Government-IPL to review fixture - Mar 03, 2009
- Matthews returns to Sri Lanka squad but will not bowl - Mar 31, 2012
- We all dived to the floor to take cover: Jayawardene - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: ajantha, chaminda vaas, co host, dastardly attack, dismay, gaddafi stadium, gunmen, international cricket council, lahore, liberty market, mahela, member boards, pakistan cricket board, repercussions, second test, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricketers, team bus, test match, thoughts and prayers