There were security lapses, admits Lahore officialMarch 5th, 2009 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, March 5 (IANS) “There are certain security lapses which are very vivid and very clear,” said a top official in Lahore where an attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team left six policemen dead and six players injured, a media report said Thursday.
The Commissioner of Lahore, Khusro Pervez, admitted to “a huge security failure” which led to the attack on the Sri Lankan team in the city’s heart Tuesday, Dawn reported.
“The gunmen were meant to be combated by backup police support, which didn’t arrive,” Dawn quoted Pervez as saying.
“All convoys are provided outer cordons, but in this case the outer cordon did not respond, or it was not enough. The vehicles used for escorting the Sri Lankan convoy were not adequate.
“The top priority of the police escorts with the Sri Lankan team was to protect them and transport them to a safe location, not to combat the gunmen,” he said.
He observed that “Lahore is very difficult to put under curfew; so instead we decided to chase the assailants using information on their escape routes.”
Six Pakistani policemen were killed and six Sri Lankan cricketers injured Tuesday when gunmen armed with automatic weapons attacked the visiting team’s convoy as it headed for Lahore’s Gaddafi stadium. A military helicopter later evacuated the cricketers as Sri Lanka cancelled its Pakistan tour.
- Six terrorists held for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Mar 30, 2011
- Terrorist arrested for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Nov 30, 2010
- Pakistan to have task force for players' safety - Nov 23, 2011
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan hopes to lure cricket teams with foolproof security - Dec 10, 2011
- Pakistan Senate for action against cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Pakistan leave for UAE to play against Sri Lanka - Oct 15, 2011
- PCB finally gives compensation year after attack on Sri Lankan team - Mar 25, 2010
- Taliban assault on Lahore mosques ends, 72 dead - May 28, 2010
- Sri Lankan team attack accused granted bail - Oct 08, 2011
- I still get flashbacks of Lahore attack: Jayawardene - May 24, 2011
- Tamil Tigers funded attack on Sri Lankan cricketers: Pakistan - Sep 06, 2009
- LTTE was behind attack on SL cricket team in Lahore, says Gilani - Sep 06, 2009
- Bangladesh will tour Pakistan: ICC - Apr 15, 2012
- Pak investigators 'clueless' about Sri Lankan cricket team bus attackers one year on - Mar 04, 2010
Tags: assailants, automatic weapons, convoy, convoys, dawn, escape routes, gaddafi stadium, gunmen, khusro, military helicopter, pakistan tour, police support, policemen, security failure, security lapses, sri lanka, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, sri lankan team, top priority