There was no Diana murder plot, says inquest judgeApril 1st, 2008 - 1:21 am ICT by admin
London, March 31 (DPA) The judge in the inquest on the death of Princess Diana in 1997 flatly told the jury Monday that she was not murdered in any alleged plot instigated by the British secret service. Lord Justice Scott Baker, giving his summing up, said there was “not a shred of evidence” that Britain’s MI6 was involved in a plot to kill Diana, as alleged by Egyptian businessman and Harrods owner Mohamed al-Fayed.
He also said there was no evidence at all that Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth, had any hand in the death of the woman who dubbed herself as the Princess of Hearts, as alleged by al-Fayed.
Al-Fayed’s son Dodi and Diana, former wife of Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, were killed in a car crash in Paris’ Alma tunnel in August 1997.
Judge Baker’s summary came at the end of a six-month inquest, which heard 250 witnesses and examined thousands of pieces of evidence.
Baker instructed the jurors that they could either pass an open verdict, rule the couple’s death had been an accident or a case of gross negligence by the pursuing paparazzi or the couple’s driver Henri Paul.
Years of investigations by French police and Scotland Yard had come to the same conclusion, rejecting murder speculation of a car blinding the driver with its headlights or a mysterious Fiat ramming Diana’s Mercedes limousine.
Diana’s sons William and Harry had added to media speculation that denied Diana to rest in peace. Shortly before the 10th anniversary of her death, William, 25, said in a TV interview that he would never stop thinking about the causes of her death.
His 23-year-old brother Harry added that “no-one would ever know what had happened in that tunnel”.
Britain’s media immediately took these remarks, despite the princes’ later clarification that they never doubted the deaths had been accidental, as an indication that “dark powers” may have been at work.
Diana’s former butler Paul Burrell, 49, who first coined the “dark powers” theory in his bestselling Diana memoirs, was asked at the inquest to prove his claims of royal warnings about sinister goings- on.
He claimed that Queen Elizabeth had warned him “in this country, powers are at work that we don’t know about” - but during the inquest failed to provide promised evidence. Baker refused to summon the queen to the witness stand.
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Kate Middleton to overtake Diana to become world's most talked-about woman - Apr 19, 2011
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Princes William and Harry welcome Di verdict - Apr 08, 2008
- Will-Kat danced their way to post wedding reception! - May 01, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Princess Diana's palace opens to public - Mar 26, 2012
- New book tells story if Diana had not died in car crash - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: brother harry, car crash, death of princess diana, dodi and diana, driver henri paul, gross negligence, harrods owner, judge baker, media speculation, mercedes limousine, murder plot, open verdict, paul burrell, prince charles, prince philip, princess diana, s driver, scott baker, shred of evidence, son dodi