The suicide forest of JapanApril 11th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 11 (IANS) An evergreen forest at the foot of Japan’s Mount Fuji is being dubbed a “suicide forest” because up to 100 bodies of people who kill themselves are found there every year.
The Aokigahara forest is so dense that it is “too easy to disappear among the evergreens and never be seen again”, the Daily Mail said in a report. Each year, as many as 100 bodies are found hanging at the spot.
As to why so many people choose to end their lives in the forest, the answer still remains a mystery.
The report said the first suicide there was inspired by a novel set in the forest.
Geologist Azusa Hayano said he himself has stumbled across more than 100 bodies in the past 20 years. He recently took a film crew inside to shoot a documentary.
In the documentary, he speaks about how clues left among trees can indicate what went through people’s minds in the moments before they took their lives.
A car is found abandoned on the edge of the forest, with a road map lying open on its front seat.
“I’m assuming the owner of the car entered from here and never came out. I guess they went into the forest with troubled thoughts.”
There is also a sign urging would-be suicide victims to think again.
With contact details for the Suicide Prevention Association, the sign reads: “Your life is a precious gift from your parents. Please think about your parents, siblings and children. Don’t keep it to yourself. Talk about your troubles.”
The geologist said suicide has become a symptom of an increasingly impersonal and lonely way of life that emerged with the internet.
- 'Like Crazy' bags top prize at Sundance Film Festival - Jan 31, 2011
- Young techie trampled to death by tuskers near Bangalore - Jul 17, 2012
- Bieber's grandfather injured - Dec 29, 2011
- Two cases of suicide in Gurgaon - May 02, 2012
- Policeman's body found in Delhi canal - Jul 27, 2012
- Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish: Steve Jobs' speech at Stanford - Oct 06, 2011
- Dismembered body of missing girl found in Thane - Jun 26, 2011
- Geologists warning over metals shortage - Oct 13, 2011
- Assault with a deadly French fry (The Funny Side) - Jul 06, 2012
- Four of a family commit suicide in Secunderabad - Jan 28, 2012
- Pakistan-China friendship evergreen: Wen Jiabao - Dec 19, 2010
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Refused touch screen mobile, 11-year-old commits suicide - Mar 03, 2012
- 12-year-old girl commits suicide in Delhi - May 22, 2012
- 'Har Pal' set for summer release, Preity ready to promote it - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: aokigahara forest, azusa, daily mail, edge of the forest, evergreen forest, evergreens, film crew, first suicide, front seat, geologist, lonely way, mount fuji, precious gift, prevention association, road map, siblings, suicide prevention, suicide victims, troubled thoughts, way of life