‘The Lark Ascending’ named UK’s Favourite Classical MusicApril 14th, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 14 (ANI): ‘The Lark Ascending’ by Ralph Vaughan Williams has maintained its top spot as the Britain’s favourite piece of classical music for the third year running.
In the poll conducted by Classic FM, soaring violin and orchestra piece was voted the best piece of classical music followed by his ‘Fantasia’ on a Theme of Thomas Tallis at the second place.
Sergei Rachmaninov’s Second Piano Concerto - famously used in the film Brief Encounter- was voted the third best.
Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No.5 (’Emperor’) and Symphony No.6 (’Pastoral’) wrapped up the top five.
“There’s been a surge in interest in music written by living classical composers,” the Telegraph quoted Darren Henley, Managing Director of Classic FM as saying.
“At the same time, we’re seeing a growth in interest in music written by homegrown composers. It goes to prove how vibrant the classical music scene is in the UK today,” Henley added.
The top 10 favourite piece of classical music
1. Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
2. Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2
3. Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
4. Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5 (’Emperor’)
5. Beethoven - Symphony No.6 (’Pastoral’)
6. Mozart - Clarinet Concerto
7. Bruch - Violin Concerto No 1
8. Elgar - Cello Concerto
9. Beethoven - Symphony No.9 (’Choral’)
10. Elgar - Enigma Variations (ANI)
- 'Brief Encounter' theme is UK's favourite classic - Apr 26, 2011
- 'X Factor' theme tune named UK's most widely-heard classical track - Dec 29, 2009
- Sir Edward Elgar penned world's first football chant - Sep 27, 2010
- Some give, some take for Mexican pianists in India - Nov 20, 2010
- Beethoven, Elgar, Rachmaninoff are favourite choices of castaways - Mar 31, 2011
- Tagore songs at Munich music fest - Apr 10, 2012
- Mozart tops Britain''s Favourite Male Classical Composers list - Aug 26, 2008
- East meets West in novel music initiative - Nov 24, 2011
- Mozart's symphonies grow 'sweeter bananas, tastier sake' - Nov 26, 2010
- Mozart's unpublished piano piece found - Mar 03, 2012
- Classical music bears imprint of changing weather - Oct 03, 2011
- Beethoven's DNA turned into musical composition to make its debut - Aug 08, 2010
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011
- Lost Vivaldi Concerto found in Scotland by an academic - Oct 08, 2010
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: beethoven piano concerto, beethoven symphony, brief encounter, bruch violin concerto, classical composers, classical music scene, elgar cello concerto, elgar enigma variations, fantasia on a theme, fantasia on a theme of thomas tallis, henley, lark, mozart clarinet concerto, music london, rachmaninov piano concerto no 2, ralph vaughan williams, second piano concerto, sergei rachmaninov, symphony no 6, symphony no 9