‘The Dark Knight’ boosts Blu-ray DVD salesJanuary 5th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 5 (IANS) The DVD release Warner Bros’ blockbuster hit “The Dark Knight” has helped sales of Blu-ray copies reach a record high in December.According to the British Video Association (BVA), some 1.5 million discs were sold in the final month of 2008 alone giving a 400 percent increase in the sale since last year, reports contactmusic.com.
The best-selling Blu-ray title being “The Dark Knight”, which sold 281,000 copies in the month, and has already broken Blu-ray records by surpassing two million copies worldwide.
“The growth in disc sales throughout 2008 reveals that the home entertainment market is showing resilience in a difficult economic climate,” said Lavinia Carey, director general of the BVA.
“But we are not surprised that home entertainment is generally bearing up well; as people tighten their belts, many have rejected more extravagant outings in favour of a cosy evening at home with their favourite titles,” she added.
The growth of Blu-ray is expected to continue in 2009 on the back of strong releases such as “Quantum of Solace”, “Tropic Thunder” and “The Duchess”.
Market expert Screen Digest predicts some 17 million Blu-ray DVDs will be sold in 2009, comprising a seven per cent share of total DVD sales.
- A new company enters Blu-ray discs online sales market in India - Mar 17, 2010
- 'Avatar' becomes fastest-selling Blu-ray disc of all time - Apr 26, 2010
- Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition On Blu-ray, DVDs And VCDs - Oct 19, 2010
- ASDA offers blue-ray player for just £40 - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Avatar' beats 'The Dark Knight' to set Blu-ray record - Apr 24, 2010
- Disney Studios to cut five percent jobs - Jun 08, 2011
- Mini Movies of 'Despicable Me' on DVD and Blue Ray This December - Sep 23, 2010
- Disney India to distribute UTV titles through home entertainment - Jul 28, 2010
- Bollywood Entertainment Limited revolutionising Blu-ray market in India - Nov 04, 2009
- Michael Jackson's 'This is It' DVD to be released on 26th January - Nov 30, 2009
- 'E.T. The Extra Terrestrial' in digital avatar - Jun 01, 2012
- Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince becomes year's fastest-selling DVD - Dec 10, 2009
- Bollywood Entertainment Limited helps push YRF blu-ray releases - Nov 14, 2009
- Samsung unveils product portfolio for 2011 - Apr 13, 2011
- Samsung unveils high definition 3D TVs - Aug 04, 2010