The best things in life come for free, even for lottery millionairesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:30 am ICT by admin
According to lead researcher Dr Richard Tunney, of the university’s school of psychology, happy people liked the free and easy treats, while those who described themselves as less happy or unsatisfied opted for CDs, DVDs and meals out.
The study, commissioned by the National Lottery, compared the ‘happiness levels’ of lottery jackpot winners with a control group. Respondents were asked how satisfied they were in relation to different elements of their life, their different mood states explored, how often they treated themselves and what form this took.
Results showed that it wasn’t the flashy cars and diamond jewellery that boosted the jackpot winners’ happiness quotient. Rather it was listening to music, reading a book, or enjoying a bottle of wine with a takeaway that really made the difference.
“It appears that spending time relaxing is the secret to a happy life. Cost-free pleasures are the ones that make the difference,” the Telagraph quoted Dr Richard Tunney, of the university’s school of psychology, as saying. (ANI)
- Jackpot worth $2.5 mn goes unclaimed in China - Aug 01, 2011
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012
- Respect brings more happiness than bank balance - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches record $500 million - Mar 29, 2012
- Beijing man hits $90 mn jackpot - Jun 13, 2012
- British couple wins $260 mn jackpot - Jul 16, 2011
- Surgeon removes wrong part of patient's brain - Aug 23, 2011
- Winner still to collect $18 mn jackpot prize - Sep 16, 2010
- Lottery fever hits as 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches $540 million - Mar 30, 2012
- Tiny tots are happy giving treats to others - Jun 20, 2012
- Britain's record jackpot winner to walk away with $180 mn - Oct 09, 2010
- Briton wins $98 mn lottery share - Jun 09, 2012
- Powerball winner hits jackpot and wins $230 million - Aug 11, 2011
- Second-largest lottery jackpot in history shared by woman, couple in US - Jan 13, 2011
- 2 lottery winners bought tickets from same shop - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: bottle of wine, control group, diamond jewellery, dr richard, flashy cars, happiness levels, happiness quotient, happy life, jackpot winners, lottery jackpot, mood states, music reading, national lottery, reading a book, respondents were asked, school of psychology, university of nottingham