The baby who needs 3,000 calories a day!May 5th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 5 (ANI): A 16-month-old Brit baby has to be fed 3,000 calories every day to help her survive.
Tot Agatha Holloway, who almost died when she was born three months before her time, had been ordered to have a massive feast on a daily basis to help her catch up with the weight of other kids.
The youngster, who weighed just 3lbs 11oz at birth, is surprisingly still small for her age at less than 17 pounds.
Her man-sized diet includes high-calorie prescription milk, clotted cream, full fat butter, high fat roasted meats, chocolates so that she reaches the 3,000-calorie mark- 500 extra than the recommended daily intake for a grown man.
Mum Samantha, a management consultant, revealed her daily struggle to feed the tot, who suffered a string of health problems in her first few months.
“It’s hard and it goes against your natural instincts as a mother, but it has to be done,” the Mirror quoted her as saying.
“I have to feed her up, but I would never give her fast food. We have to find healthy but high-calorie meals. I never use ready meals because they are full of salt, which is bad,” she added.
The 35-year-old mother continued: “We used to weigh her bib before each meal, and then afterwards to calculate how much food was wasted. If she hadn’t eaten enough, we had to keep trying throughout the day. Now she’s eating more for herself, and is drinking from a cup and straw.”
A paediatric dietician at Agatha’s hospital in Surrey said: “Some children do need extra calories to help them grow. But it is important that they have a balanced diet which can be fortified with extra fats.” (ANI)
- McDonald's new Favourites Combo has enough calories for a whole day - Feb 20, 2011
- Lose weight post-pregnancy - but don't rush it - Jun 15, 2012
- Diet used by Kate Middleton's mum branded a 'health hazard' - Nov 27, 2010
- Successful dieting may be all in the mind - Jul 07, 2010
- Pub meal 'has more fat than 12 McDonald's hamburgers' - May 13, 2010
- Ignorance about calories putting millions at risk - Jan 03, 2012
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Cakes, chocolates made of chilli 'to help burn off those pounds!' - Mar 07, 2011
- Low-carb diets better for easing weight: Study - Dec 13, 2011
- Diet drinks could make you pile on pounds - Jun 29, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Goes On 6,000 Calorie Diet Each Day For Wolverine Role - Feb 04, 2011
- High-fat diet prevents brain from burning calories - Sep 10, 2010
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- Carrie Fisher is the new face of Jenny Craig - Jan 13, 2011
- World's fattest mum eats 30,000-calorie Christmas feast in single sitting - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: agatha, balanced diet, bib, calorie meals, calories, clotted cream, daily basis, daily struggle, dietician, fast food, grown man, health problems, holloway, management consultant, natural instincts, old mother, ready meals, recommended daily intake, s hospital, youngster