TheNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:25 am ICT by admin
The monarch’s additional costs included 5,730 pounds on staff overtime and a cleaner, 16,663 pounds for crowd management and even a 50-pound bouquet for the Queen.
The council blew 36 per cent of its 160,000 pounds budget on the event, way more than its 20,000 pounds estimate.
What irked the council bosses the most was that the Queen didn’t even use the high-priced toilet that she had ordered.
“I told Palace officials the toilets were not pristine but they were clean. They said,’You will have to replace it.’ There was no argument,” the Mirror quoted town clerk Judith Giles, as saying.
“The extra costs did not come to light until four weeks before the visit. The embarrassment of having to cancel so soon before wouldn’t have been in the interest of Hampshire,” he added.
Romsey mayor Mark Cooper said: “If we do not recover the money from the district council we’ll have to put up the council tax next year.”
The Queen and Prince Philip were in Romsey, Hants, to mark the 400th anniversary of the council’s Royal Charter. (ANI)
- Burglar to get his 83,000 pounds from police - Apr 06, 2012
- British minister suggests yacht as gift to queen - Jan 16, 2012
- On Mumbai's roadmap: Washroom for women every two km! - Nov 13, 2011
- Kardashian spends $100,000 on toilet - Aug 24, 2012
- Row over Royal Mail's only for Muslim loos - Jul 31, 2010
- Outrage forces UK shopping center to review decision to install 'squat loos' for Asians - Jul 22, 2010
- From 4 to 100, Briton stays at same home for 96 years - Mar 18, 2010
- Loo turns human waste into biofuel, fertiliser - Jun 28, 2012
- Rural development ministry offers to fund bio-toilets for railway coaches - Jul 25, 2012
- Cleanliness freak JLo's loo woes - Jun 26, 2012
- 'White Goat' machine turns waste paper into toilet roll! - Feb 02, 2010
- Taiwanese men told to squat when using public loos - Aug 28, 2012
- Manchester shopping center installs 'squat loos' for Asians - Jul 15, 2010
- Queen's guide exposed as a paedophile - Feb 05, 2011
- London 2012 venues face toilet trouble - Feb 21, 2012