The 110-year-old Brit who attributes her longevity to whisky, onionsJanuary 5th, 2008 - 1:41 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 5 (ANI): Minnie Smith is on her way to becoming Britains oldest living woman, as she celebrates her 110 th birthday.
The lady, who was a teen when the Titanic sank and is now blind and largely deaf, attributes her longevity to regular consumption of whisky and boiled onions.
Smith has seen three centuries, but still is a spinster. During the Great War she did have a crush on an Australian soldier called Noddy, but her mother forbade her to pursue him. To this day a photograph rests on the dressing table at her Salvation Army retirement home in South London.
One of Smiths nieces, Josepha Strange, 85, said that her aunt had gone into domestic service at 14.
Shes had a hard life, but I dont think she would have changed a bit of it. She loved working in those big houses, and thats what she talks about, TimesOnline quoted her, as saying.
Smith is not the oldest living Briton. Henry Allingham, of Eastbourne, is, at 111, the oldest man in Europe. (ANI)
- Pakistani man chained wife, niece - Mar 16, 2012
- 106 years old and still a virgin! - Sep 04, 2010
- Oldest Briton passes away at 111 - Oct 21, 2010
- World's oldest man dies aged 114 - Apr 15, 2011
- Three Britons held for running over Asian-origin kids (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Aged 120, living on boiled food, rice beer - and loving it! - Sep 17, 2010
- Enjoying life is the secret to world's oldest twins' longevity - Sep 24, 2010
- Three arrested for kidnapping child - Jan 18, 2012
- World's oldest man owes his longevity to 'cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women' - Jun 20, 2009
- 103-year-old woman is Facebook's oldest user - Dec 16, 2010
- Brit woman, 111, says honey is the secret to her longevity - May 24, 2010
- Allingham: The Last Survivor Of "The Battle Of Jutland" Dies At 113 - Jul 18, 2009
- Violin from Titanic band found - Jan 31, 2012
- Briton held for running over Asian-origin kids - Aug 21, 2012
- Emma Roberts: Is she eying for Prince Harry now? - Dec 11, 2010
Tags: australian soldier, big houses, boiled onions, briton, dressing table, eastbourne, great war, henry allingham, london jan, longevity, nieces, oldest living woman, oldest man, retirement home, salvation army, smiths, south london, spinster, th birthday, whisky