Thapa advances to second round of World junior boxingMay 24th, 2009 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Indian boxer Shiva Thapa defeated Andranik Hiloyan of Armenia 11-2 in the light bantam weight category to advance to the second round in World Junior Boxing Championships in Yerevan, Armenia.
Thapa raced to a 6-0 lead in the opening round before Hiloyan came back to take the second round 2-1. Thapa dominated the third round securing 4 points before the referee stopped contest in the 52 kg event.
The Indian will next meet Ukraine’s Yuriy Shestak, who beat Bulgaria’s Alexandry Morarou of Bulgaria 11-4.
- Indian boxers make great start in World junior (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Indian boxers off to a flying start in World junior (Second Lead, Superseding previous story) - May 24, 2009
- Indians sparkle in junior boxing championships - May 26, 2009
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian boxer Shiva wins silver in Czech Grand Prix - Mar 25, 2012
- Three Indian boxers in semifinal of World junior meet - May 27, 2009
- Dutta, Adik bow out in Indian Open squash - Sep 06, 2011
- Three Indian boxers in World junior meet quarters - May 25, 2009
- Thapa India's first casualty in Olympic boxing - Jul 28, 2012
- Nine Indian boxers in Asian Confederation Boxing - Aug 07, 2011
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- India dominate SAF Junior TT Championships - Jun 19, 2012
- Tandon, Mangaonkar in last eight of world junior squash - Jul 15, 2011