Test connection to Smith’s IPL successMay 6th, 2009 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, May 6 (IANS) The Indian Premier League (IPL) may be a far cry from Test cricket, but Graeme Smith’s return to form with a blazing 77 has much to do with the traditional form of the game.
Smith, whose whirlwind 77 off 44 balls helped Rajasthan Royals pile up IPL’s highest total of 211 and beat Kings XI Punjab by 78 runs Tuesday, said batting on a Test track allowed him to play his natural aggressive game.
“I have been working hard at the nets. And, we actually got a Test strip to bat on. So, that was one thing which went in my favour as I was feeling a lot more comfortable on the wicket,” Smith said.
“I was a little tense during the initial matches but now I have settled down. I have some confidence going now. I wanted to be positive and play my natural game against Kings XI Punjab. I am happy that we won the match,” Smith was quoted as saying on IPL’s official website.
Smith said he wanted to play a vital role and take his team to the semi-finals.
“I want to use the confidence in the coming matches and help my side secure a semi-final berth.”
Smith was all praise for his new opening partner Naman Ojha, who scored 68 in their stand of 135.
“Naman Ojha was awesome. He allowed me to play some positive cricket. It was great to have a good opening partnership in the match. Our top-order has struggled, so it feels good to make amends.”
- Daredevils beat Kings XI to march into IPL play-offs (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Dada not playing, fans disappointed - May 09, 2011
- Kings XI opt to bat against Daredevils - May 15, 2012
- IPL find Gurkeerat is a player to watch - May 23, 2012
- Daredevils knock Kings XI out of IPL, top group stage (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Kings XI blown away by Gayle's knock - Apr 21, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab thump Daredevils, stay in hunt for play-offs (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Punjab thrash Super Kings by six wickets - May 17, 2012
- No problem batting in any position: Naman Ojha - Apr 28, 2012
- Gilchrist expects good show from Kings XI against Super Kings - Apr 12, 2011
- Lumb, Ojha star in Rajasthan Royals win over Kings XI - Apr 07, 2010
- Chennai Super Kings arrive in Chandigarh to take on Kings XI Punjab - Apr 12, 2011
- Kings XI thrash Rajasthan Royals by 48 runs (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Kings XI wary of Gayle 'storm' in revenge game - May 02, 2012
Tags: aggressive game, balls, berth, confidence, far cry, favour, graeme smith, ipl, match, ojha, pile up, premier league, punjab, semi finals, tense, test connection, test cricket, test strip, test track, wicket