TEPCO President apologises for Fukushima emergencyApril 13th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Apr 13 (ANI): The president of the Tokyo Electric Power Corporation (TEPCO) has apologised for a nuclear emergency at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Japan, which is leaking radioactive substances, following the March 11 earthquake-cum-tsunami.
The Xinhua news agency quoted Masataka Shimizu as saying that TEPCO hoped to announce steps to restore the cooling system at the reactors as early as possible.
The severity level of the accident at the nuclear power plant was raised by Japan’s nuclear safety agency to 7, the worst on an international scale, from the current 5.
According to Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, the amount of radiation emissions released at the Fukushima plant was equivalent to 10 percent of that in the Chernobyl accident in 1986.
Since March 11, the company has been struggling to restore the plant’s critical cooling systems and prevent the plant from spewing more radioactive substances into the air, land and sea. (ANI)
- Tokyo operator to be banned from Fukushima n-plant - Apr 24, 2011
- Fukushima nuke plant compromised safety over cost-cutting drive during construction - Mar 22, 2011
- Cooling system restored at Japan n-plant reactor - May 29, 2011
- Japanese operator says it will "scrap" four reactors at tsunami hit nuke plant - Mar 30, 2011
- Fukushima Gov. will not allow TEPCO to resume work at Fukushima nuke plant - Apr 22, 2011
- The day that shook Japan - Mar 11, 2012
- Two nuke reactors at Japan's tsunami hit plant connected to external power supply - Mar 22, 2011
- Fukushima n-plant operator confirms fuel meltdown - May 24, 2011
- Over 30 years needed to decommission Fukushima plant: Report - Oct 28, 2011
- Head of Fukushima n-plant operator resigns - May 20, 2011
- 'Japan has no plans to dump spent nuclear fuel abroad' - May 10, 2011
- Fukushima 50 criticise Japanese govt. over inconsistent documentation of their radiation exposure - Apr 23, 2011
- High radioactivity detected in seawater near Japan's tsunami hit nuke plant - Mar 22, 2011
- TEPCO eyes removal of 60,000 tons of radioactive water from Fukushima nuke plant - Apr 05, 2011
- Sea water off Kukushima has high level of radioactive iodine - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,